Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:17 pm 
Hi,

Some of you may have seen my topic here where I was asking newbie questions about the above event and what the best practice was!

Well as I mentioned in that post I would be putting up a few of my shots to see what you all think.

Here they are...

Shutter Speed: 1/60
Aperture: f/22
Focal Length: 250mm
ISO: 200

Aperture: f/22
Focal Length: 250mm

Aperture: f/13
Focal Length: 180mm

Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 180mm

All the above shots were taken with the Nikkor 70-300mm VR.

These are just a few of the panning shots I took, you can see more in my Flickr. I've got other still life pictures of the show and I'll be putting those up in the still life section tomorrow (or if you look at my flickr sometime tonight they may be up!).

Constructive criticism is always appreciated, this was my first day out with a DSLR (Nikon D40), although it's probably going to be the last as I ordered a Nikon D200 today so that'll be arriving tomorrow! :D

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited by SteveExeter on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:04 pm 
Man the 1st shot muah amazing!! those are some really nice pannings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:08 pm 
Thanks!

My first attempt at panning and also my first day out with the camera. I've got another couple of shows coming up quite soon (17/05 and 01/06), so I'm looking forward to building on the experience learnt from yesterday (which was a very steep learning curve!).

It was quite difficult to pan when the cars were going up to 150 mph (240 kmh) on that straight! Absolutely loads of shots were thrown away, mostly too blurred, but at least I came away with some keepers and that's all that matters hey?

Thanks again,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:16 pm 
nice panning indeed! very good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:23 pm 
Thanks!

There's about 10 more panning shots if you go to my Flickr. I'm feeling really confident about the next show as I've learnt lots already.

Hopefully they will be even better next time!

Thanks again,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:44 pm 
SteveExeter wrote:
Thanks!

Absolutely loads of shots were thrown away, mostly too blurred, but at least I came away with some keepers and that's all that matters hey?

Steve

Thats why we love digital now... imagine the rolls of film you would have went thru to get those... and not knowing was the worst part!

Great shots!
Makes me even more anxious for the Molson Indy to come to Toronto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:53 pm 
TheHawk1973 wrote:
Thats why we love digital now... imagine the rolls of film you would have went thru to get those... and not knowing was the worst part!

I think I would've given up now if it was done by film! I can't imagine what it was like before digital.

I've put a few of the stills up here if you're interested. I need some help with those I think.

Thanks,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:00 am 
You're making a quick transistion from the D40 to the D200...

Your shots aren't bad side-on panning attempts. Of your four, the final one is the best. Three isn't in focus and has significant blown highlights.

Did you manage to try 3/4, close-up or head-on pans? The technique varies a little for each style.

You've left good room in front of the cars to give that sense of space, and the background isn't cluttered. The only major quibble I have is that the viewpoint could be better - for motoring, I prefer shots from low angles so that I can't see the roof of the car. That way the images have extra impact in that you're close up to the action rather than a spectator.

As you're on a spending spree, I'd recommend a monopod to help with the fast speeds of the cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:55 am 
Hi Photoj,

Thanks for your comments on these pictures aswell, it's much appreciated.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Donington Park race circuit, but all the way around there's an awful fence so viewing angles are limited. We had to go up onto a bank to get those shots so I had to zoom in quite close (250mm). I agree that low angle shots would have been better but it was near impossible to get them where we were located to.

Would a monopod improve the panning shots alot do you think? I've never seen one in the flesh before, do they extend to full height so that they're level with your eye when standing or do you have to crouch down to use one effectively? If so do you have any recommendations?

Also, another panning question... because these cars obviously move fast, what focusing method would you use? I think I was getting the car focused around the bend and then panning through to the straight where I took the shot. Is there a more effective way of doing this?

Thanks again,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:16 am 
You can find monopods of various heights. The one I have can be found on the thread here.

As for it helping a lot, well that truly depends on technique. Having said this, knowing how to get the most from a monopod will help with the pivoting over a handheld method, and I find I achieve better results with a monopod over handholding in an unstabilised lens.

As for focusing, here I would be using continuous on the camera, and what you're doing is one of two methods, which I prefer with very fast moving vehicles; I use the other method with slower moving objects to save battery and time. You can track the vehicle prior to the section where you want to pan, or prefocus on a spot then collect and pan the vehicle once it enters it.