Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC

Which Shooting Mode Do You Use?
Manual 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
Shutter Priority 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Aperture Priority 42%  42%  [ 24 ]
Program 28%  28%  [ 16 ]
Full Auto / Scene Mode 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Full Auto / Scene Mode 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 57
 Post subject: What Mode Do You Use?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:38 pm 

Yeah, a thought just popped into my head while looking at the EXIF data on some photos. Obviously in Manual mode, there is no EV bias as you select the exposure, so thats what got me thinking when i saw people with an exposure bias on theirs.

I use almost exlusively manual, sometimes I use aperture or shutter priority, but not to often. I never use program, and my camera is only set to it if I give it to a friend to take a photo with, and I usually bump the ISO up to 800 for them to so they don't get blurry shots even with a F2.8 lens.

So I'm Manual. What are you?

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:46 pm 

The vast majority of my photos are landscapes so I generally use aperture priority.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:06 pm 
Generally speaking

For anything where speed (my speed) is important, I typically use P. My Nikon D40 allows me to defined the parameters for the auto-ISO so that I can cap the ISO at 400 or 800 and have the camera adjust shutter-speed accordingly but never exceed a certain ISO limit.

For the shots where I can be as slow as I want to, I use A & M.

For the shots of something fast-moving, I use S - and enjoying my 1/500sec flash sync.

For walking around in the "ready for anything"-mode and snapshots I use P.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:07 pm 

Zorro, why do landscapes command aperture priority???
I shoot AP most all the time, because for me the aperture is controlling dof and is thus very important in every shot. Even should I ever shoot sports, I'd open the lens up to the max and use AP. In that case because that gives you the shortest shutter times too.

The other reason is that on my Nikon D lenses I can actually use the aperture ring "just like in old times" :lol: :lol: :lol:
-------------
You're beginning to see my age here :roll:

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:15 pm 
Thomas wrote:
I shoot AP most all the time, because for me the aperture is controlling dof and is thus very important in every shot. Even should I ever shoot sports, I'd open the lens up to the max and use AP. In that case because that gives you the shortest shutter times too.

same here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:25 pm 
Likewise here. Aperture-priority is my default for 70% of my shooting. I'd say 20% in M and 10% in shutter-priority. I only use manual if I am doing static work on a tripod, or for the additional control. For what I do, it's simply not possible to be using manual all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:27 pm 

I wouldn't say landscapes "command" aperture priority, it's just far more relevant than shutter speed, that's all. Good landscapes tend to have some degree of foreground interest so depth of field - and therefore aperture - is important.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:16 pm 
I like using manual just because I like to take a few shots using different settings to see what I get. I tend to switch between auto and manual. I tend to try out auto first, then think I can improve on that or shoot it closer to what I want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:20 pm 
Hello all,

Because I make photo´s of landscapes most of the time, it is aperture what rules.
In a few cases shutterspeed is a point (sports) but for the (little) rest in that case programmed mode.

ngc94227

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:29 pm 
I mainly use program mode, so much easier to change either shutter or aperture if I need too. For me Manual takes too long, I don't see the point in setting the shutter and aperture manually if program mode will do it automatically. If im not getting the picture right In program mode I will either change to AP or SP only on something rare will I shoot in Manual mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:06 am 

The problem is that Program mode takes control of more than just shutter speed and aperture, at least it does on the D80. Check your manual. See what control you're giving up and ask youself if maybe you couldn't make those same decisions with more success.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:17 am 
As 90% of my photos are of fast moving trains I keep the camera set to Tv which on the Canon is Shutter Priority so that is the way I voted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:43 am 
zorro wrote:
The problem is that Program mode takes control of more than just shutter speed and aperture, at least it does on the D80. Check your manual. See what control you're giving up and ask youself if maybe you couldn't make those same decisions with more success.

Zorro 8)

Maybe I could, but has anyone thought that maybe we should take more time taking each shot? Experimenting? Enjoying the experience of taking the shot itself? Maybe I'm being counter-productive by playing with the dials and looking for what's right, but I like it. It takes me longer to take the shot, and while I'm doing that I am thinking about other ways etc to do the shot, if i need to change position etc etc.

Of course if it's something fast and I need to get the shot taken quickly, I can always set it shutter priority, or if i want dof I can set to aperture priority, but I am hardly ever in a rush. And if I am, and its a shot of the moment, I will wack it into auto and hope for the best. If I was at a racing event then I'd most likely have it on shutter priority constantly, or if I was out shooting arty stuff/b/w, portrait stuff then maybe I'd have it set to aperture priority. But I am seldom out on a mission for a certain type of photography. I dont do trains, I dont do people, I dont do pets. I do whatever I like the look of at any given time. And most of the time, its something I can take my time with and play around with my camera. Hope my thoughts dont seem too alien to you guys :)

Last edited by Gregory.Rotter on Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:54 am 
Site Admin

I shoot in Program mode for day to day shots unless there's a specific effect I'm after.

I also find Program shift lets me quickly dial in a different aperture if required.

But if I'm working on a tripod or doing something technical, I use Ap Priority or Manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:46 am 
I use aperture priority about 90% of the time and shutter priority for only about 5%.