Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:36 pm 
Photoj, i see u as my master at the moment seriously!

u never stop amazing me, this is a great technique!

thanx alot for sharing it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Nice technique photoj, thanks for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:54 am 
Ok THAT was awesome!

I didn't even get (too) lost along the way, and the result is really good... Was it your friend experience that told you to make the particular focal point where it is now?
Could you post the changes made on the other shots?

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:02 am 
I'm taking a break at work now, so I can't post the other photos.

The techniques are a mix from advice on the forum (Andy taught me the digital ND grad - I personally shoot with a real ND filter almost all the time when it comes to landscapes), and then the remainder down to too much time on my hands and just playing around.

As for the focal point, I studied your composition - there's nothing wrong with it at all; it just felt natural to create a more defined point where I have. It was only a little flat in colour and contrast with no clear distinction of where you want our eyes to look at, and this is what I aimed to remedy in post-processing.

I hope this helps, and maybe will encourage you to do a little basic post-processing from time-to-time. If not, perhaps get an ND grad and see what effects that gives you. Either way, I'm glad you liked the result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:43 am 
Here is was I made of the other two images. The fourth is perfectly fine the way it is, and I've not thought about how to edit that one.

Image 2:

Colourised, noise added, contrast increased and brightness decreased.

Image 3:

Trees on the bottom right corner have been cloned out, unsharp mask, cooling filter to bolster whites, contrast increased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:58 am 
Hi Quentin,

Just to provide an alternative approach to photoj's excellent post-processing:

Done some high-pass sharpening, selective saturation of certain color ranges and softened the blacks and whites a little to add some depth.
A few filters as well.

I love what photoj did to illustrate the post-processing that is possible, so just consider this another avenue of approach :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:48 pm 
Thanks for sharing those, Photoj. I personally like the second one best. Your third retouch doesn't really make a difference in my opinion. I guess i've got to start using borders!

Lah, I see how you made a difference in your post processing, but that doesn't look quite like it I saw it through my viewfinder :wink:

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:15 pm 
Hey Quentin,

you must've been tired, wearing sunglasses and been there at the wrong time of the day then - a photo can't lie, you know..lol

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:29 pm 
Probably, because I can't figure out how the Sahara's sand landed on that mountain top :wink:

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:52 pm 
Global warming and all that - the deserts are spreading at a very rapid pace, you know :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:35 pm 
Q u e n t i n wrote:
Your third retouch doesn't really make a difference in my opinion.

That's the joy of editing; I've stayed faithful with the original images and what the third one lacked were the untidy bottom right corner and the lack of sharpness in depth. I addressed both these and altered the white balance with a slight cooling filter. When you view both of these side-by-side, you'll notice the subtle difference that makes one an unpolished photo, and the other more refined.

Original:
Edited:

I'm all for shooting as best as you can in-camera for landscapes to reduce time spent post-processing, but when I do, I hope you can see that I tend to favour faithful reproductions rather than major reworkings of the scenes. Of my three reworkings of your images, the second one is most different because of the lithographic effect I created to give the image a mood and false impression of age.

Here's hoping I've managed to open your imagination to go and explore a little minor post-processing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:20 pm 
Thank you for sharing your experience Photoj

I'll try to use more post processing when I feel more comfortable with my DSLR. I've heard of Blue Marine. Open source photo workflow. It's still to come, but at least it'll be free!

Quentin