Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: CMOS vs CCD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:25 pm 
With both the D3 and D300, Nikon has started to use CMOS sensors, instead of the usual CCD. CMOS technology is what Canon has been using in its DSLRs all along.

Will Nikon stop using CCD technology entirely, or will it keep it for the consumer market, while reserving CMOS for its semi-professional range?

Maybe we are witnessing the start of CCD technology obsolescence?

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:39 pm 

I think the advances in CMOS make CCD obsolete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:42 pm 
I'm not sure the shift is a good thing. I intentionally bought a D50 with CCD because I liked the type of image it produces compared to Canon's CMOS. But, I haven't seen many D3 or D300 images so maybe that'll change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:30 am 
I didn't realise that there were image quality differences between the two types. I always thought that the reasons for choosing either one were down to other technical or economical factors. Either way, I'm not too bothered about the kind of sensor that is in my camera as long as the image quality is good.

Wasn't Nikon supposed to have invested heavily in the LBCAST(JFET) type sensor that can be found in the D2h? Whatever happened to that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:04 pm 

Yup, obsolete too (LBCAST that is)!
And to clarify further: "obsolete" doesn't mean that the IQ is bad. It just is a combination of design and manufacturing parameters that let the makers steer towards CMOS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:43 pm 

I finally got around to reading Canon's Full-Frame CMOS White Paper (1.1 MB .PDF file) this evening. Pages 13 through 19 and onwards have an informative analysis of the pros and cons of CMOS vs. CCD which, obviously, are applicable whoever the manufacturer. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:59 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
I finally got around to reading Canon's Full-Frame CMOS White Paper (1.1 MB .PDF file) this evening. Pages 13 through 19 and onwards have an informative analysis of the pros and cons of CMOS vs. CCD which, obviously, are applicable whoever the manufacturer. :idea:

Bob.

wow thanks alot that helped me 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:24 am 
Thanks for the link, Bob. I'll sure read it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:49 am 
The CCD is a technology more purifield and mature than CMOS.

The CCD has advance over CMOS:
-The CCD controls more better the noise
-The definition is better
-The production is more cheap

The compact digital camera still use the CCD for this, but its bigger problem is the transfer speed of each pixel.

The maximum speed of transfer was of CCD 10MPx of the Nikon D200, this sensor was a variation of the CCD 10MPx of D40x, D80, K10D, GX-10 and a100. This sensor had 4 channel output (2 channel in other cameras) and 5fps.

A camera with 3 to 5fps a CCD could be a good option and Sony modified the CCD 10MPx for a200 and a300 and now this is a SuperHAD.
The new CCD in the a350 of 14MPx is a good example about use of a CCD in actual DSLR.
For DSLR entry-level and APS-C no more than 12 or 14MPx and 3fps, a CCD is a good choise.

CMOS has good advantage:
-Less energy
-More transfer speed (10fps)
-More capacity in the chip integration

Excuse my english...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:56 am 
I think I read somewhere that Nikon made use of their research in the LBCAST technology in the D3's CMOS sensor. Can't find my source though sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:22 am 
One question...

I had been reading about the sensor and I read Canon EOS-D30 had a sensor of 3MPx APS-C CCD and the EOS-1D with 6MPx (I donĀ“t remember) a APS-H CCD too.
Is it rigth??

Is interest the sensor evolution in the market...

Excuse my english...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:07 am 
Actually, alexramos,

I had believed CMOS controls noise better, and the definition is better.

Quote from a camera brochure I once read:
"CMOS is the next step in technology after CCDs."

Hope no one minds a Sony user participating in the Nikon forum. :lol:

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:46 am 
I think the better advantage of the CMOS than CCD is in the flexibility of design and the more spread possibility about control noise, but the CCD has, itself, a better performance in the least noise.

But the need for speed (high rate for transfer) mean the brands to use the CMOS and improve it.

Excuse my english...