Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:03 pm 

Phil, back again after my first tests with LR.
Took a while to import 16800 photos :D
When I looked at the NEF/RAW-pics, their dullness immediately sprang to my eye. Look at the following screenshot with LightRoom and CaptureNX of the same RAW side-by-side:
Any comment on this effect?
Tried it with the jpg from that same NEF/RAW too and that looks almost like the RAW in CaptureNX.

Another point: I found no way to open the selected photo immediately in CaptureNX. LR first wants to make a copy and then let CaptureNX do it's work. So I go through "Show in Explorer" and start CaptureNX from there. That's an additional click, but certainly not a real prob.

Third thing: is there a way to show a pic in LR, when you know the file-name already?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:14 pm 
You can choose to open a file in a program other than PS without going to explorer first. Its under Edit->Preferences and then the External editing tab. I don't know if there are any limits as to which programs you can export to. Don't have Capture NX so tested with Image Ready and the rest works just like with PS. Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:19 pm 

Thanks Graham, I've been playing around with that option, but it seems to create e.g. a tiff from the existing file, stores it somewhere and than starts CaptureNX on this copy. That would be an excellent intermediary step for editing-programms that irreversibly alter the original. But as CaptureNX does non-destructive editing this step just generates other files (in addition to the 17,000 that are already on my PC) :?
Addendum: The above is only true with NEF/RAW-files. With jpgs you can choose to edit the original...
Addendum 2: The colors with the exported TIFF (generated by LR from the NEF) looks just as bland as the NEF directly in LR. It seems like any NEF-processing from Capture NX is not shown in LR :?
Addendum 3: LR refused to import some pics that were named identically. It made a nice report, which ones it refused to load.But as they were from different folders I'll have to change the complete numbering-system in on folder and import again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:42 pm 

The NEFs look dull by default. You need to do some work in the develop module for them to spring to life. I have no experience of CaptueNX as I have only ever processed NEFs using Lightroom.

To find a file, go to the Library module, open Find, set Text to Filename, set the Rule to Contains and type the filename in. It will search in the current folder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:26 pm 

Ahh, I've uploaded my first pic from LR via flickr-uploader to flickr. Tags went through ok. But trying to export a folder with 4 pics resulted in a "Buffer overflow" with the flickr-uploader :? Only when flickr-uploader was already open did it go through.
The receiving folder has to be set in flickr-uploader, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:48 pm 

Just discovered a nice feature of LightRoom:
You can set filters e.g. for rating (0-5 stars) per folder. So if you have made a long holiday and save your photos in one subfolder for each day, you can set the filter for "at least 2 stars" per day to supress the worst photos, when you browse the folder of this particular day.
But for your folder of the complete holiday that contains all the subfolders for each single day you can set the filter e.g. to "at least 3 stars". So viewing only the highlights from all holi"days".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:44 am 

tombomba2 wrote:
Ahh, I've uploaded my first pic from LR via flickr-uploader to flickr. Tags went through ok. But trying to export a folder with 4 pics resulted in a "Buffer overflow" with the flickr-uploader :? Only when flickr-uploader was already open did it go through.
The receiving folder has to be set in flickr-uploader, right?

That's right. I've never had a buffer overflow BTW.

tombomba2 wrote:
Just discovered a nice feature of LightRoom:
You can set filters e.g. for rating (0-5 stars) per folder. So if you have made a long holiday and save your photos in one subfolder for each day, you can set the filter for "at least 2 stars" per day to supress the worst photos, when you browse the folder of this particular day.
But for your folder of the complete holiday that contains all the subfolders for each single day you can set the filter e.g. to "at least 3 stars". So viewing only the highlights from all holi"days".

That's one of the features I really like. I save all my photos in folders by year,, month and date. I use collections to group them together and the filters the same as you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:23 pm 

Another good thing: LR recognizes RAW+jpg that belong together and stacks them in their database, that is you only have to handle one pic.
But: I had all the RAWs separated from the jpegs in different folders. That way LR had no chance to find out that they belong together. So I'm back pushing the RAW-files into the same folder as the jpgs and then let LR aquire the files again.
Oh boy: I had waited too long to use LR, now all my former principles in sorting my photos come haunting me :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:49 pm 

I sympathize mate. It's for precisely this reason I'm sticking with ACDSee. If it ain't broke...

Zorro
8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:57 pm 

This is really a problem: I've manipulated a RAW-pic that was over-exposed 2EV in CaptureNX and produced a better jpg from there. So now I have a corrected RAW+jpeg of this pic. In the Windows-Explorer both pics show up ok, in LR they're stacked, but only the totally bleached out version can be seen in LR. Same holds for the slide-show :cry:
If I only have the jpeg-file, that is displayed correctly, but together with the RAW...
The unfortunate thing is that the pairing of RAW/NEF+jpeg in LR is treated different from user-controlled stacking: With the latter you have the option to put one specific pic of the stack on top and show it. That would in this case be the jpg, as it is displayed correctly by LR.
So perhaps I have to go back and separate the NEFs from the jpegs, import them (so they're not auto-stacked) and then manually stack them after import with the jpeg on top :?
What a chore...
And unfortunately stacks cannot be built of pictures from different folders. So here goes the next good idea down the drain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:22 am 
The images look really different in capture nx and lightroom. Which one displays it closer to the original? Is it even possible to have an "original"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:28 am 

Well Graham, the CaptureNX version looks at least like intended (after some manipulation) and the prob is that LR doesn't show changes that I applied to the NEF-file, only in the jpg-file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:36 am 
Ah ok, I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought you meant that Lightroom displays the colours differently from capture nx. I tried editing some of my NEF files and Lightroom displays all changes that I have made immediately no difference from the jpegs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:43 am 

Lightrom does show changes made in the NEF file. You have to make them in Lightroom though using the Develop module.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:26 pm 

Yeah, I have not been precise enough. What I mean:
If you change your NEF in CaptureNX and load that into LR (or update the pic in LR) LR automatically applies its own development rules to the NEF-file. You cannot stop LR applying it's own rules and even if you default them to "standard" it applies those rules to the original NEF not the altered one, instead of applying those rules on top of the changes you already made via CaptureNX.
So if you have increased the contrast of the original NEF in CaptureNX and view this file in LR with standard development settings you just get the "old/original" bland view of the NEF and thus effectively cannot view/print the work you've already done with CaptureNX.

Only way to get around this is to save NEFs and jpegs in different folders so that LR doesn't auto-stack them and just view the jpg that you produced from the altered NEF. But this is not really good:
- you need jpgs to view your NEFs correctly
- you have to separate them when downloading the pics (NEF+jpg) from your camera. Thus you cannot use the automatic download-feature of LR
- each time you work on the NEF with CaptureNX you have to produce an altered jpg and update that in the LR database
Grrrrrrr :evil: