Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:07 pm 
Well, I posted a while back about the Pentax K200D and I was pretty decided on it even though what I really want is a K20D. Well, the K20D is really too pricey for me, but it appears that I could get the Samsung GX-20, with a 18-55mm kit lens (I believe it's the same as the K20D kit lens) for about $700 USD - a good deal lower than the price of the K200D.

From what I've seen, the GX-20 seems a bit less polished than the K20D (and thus, possibly less polished than the K200D), and then there's the Samsung name. Also, it doesn't appear there's a battery grip for the GX-20 that can be found anywhere even though one does exist. The K200D does have a battery grip and a very inexpensive one at that. But then I don't plan on getting a battery grip anytime soon if I get the GX-20, I would if I got the K200D as the grip only costs $30 USD, and it'd be nice to have, but unnecessary.

Also, I read in a CNET review (http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/digitalcameras/0,39030232,49298871,00.htm) that the AF on the GX-20 isn't all that good, but I thought it was the same as the K20D...

I'd like to get the best and biggest/heaviest camera I can with my limited funds as I really like the big, tough feel of cameras like the 50D, but I want to make sure I'm getting a camera that I'll really be happy with for quite some time.

So, K200D or GX-20?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:13 pm 
hey...im close to buying a dslr too...maybe in a couple months or so

ive been looking at nikon's d40/d60, canon's rebel xs, pentax's k200d/k-m, samsung's gx20

out of these, the samsung gx20 is clearly the best camera...it used to be around $1400-1500 when it came out (so it kinda belongs in the 40d/50d/d90/d300 league)...nowadays its going for about $750-800 CAD with the kit lens

its only about $100 more than the k200d, but its almost twice the camera compared to k200d...it has the same tough build of the k20d (72 weather seals or so, which are more than the k200d)...and ive heard that the schneider kit lens and other schneider lenses are better compared to pentax's lenses

to me, things like battery grip arent that important (gx20 should have a good battery life)...but for k200d, spending $30 on a battery grip is a no-brainer

here are a couple reviews about the gx20 that might help you:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Samsung-GX20-10669
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_samsung_gx20.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:54 pm 

K200 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:04 pm 
The GX20 is a 99% copy of the k20D,so for a bit extra $ it's fully worth it.
And they share the same mount,so you can get Samsung,Pentax & third party lenses as well.
I would preffer the Pentax name on my camera anyday,but you can't argue with the low price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:26 pm 
Okay, I think I'm pretty convinced about the GX-20... the small amount more I'll have to spend on it isn't a big deal to me.

kpr wrote:
K200 :D

For which reasons?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:03 am 

"I could get the Samsung GX-20, with a 18-55mm kit lens (I believe it's the same as the K20D kit lens) for about $700 USD - a good deal lower than the price of the K200D"

My K200 (body only) was about $700 Cdn back in March.
I'm sure the 18-55mm would about even that out with exchange on the dollar.

"out of these, the samsung gx20 is clearly the best camera...it used to be around $1400-1500 when it came out (so it kinda belongs in the 40d/50d/d90/d300 league)...nowadays its going for about $750-800 CAD with the kit lens "

I'm kind of lost how the exorbiant price puts a cam in the league of others or how it could "magically" just drop in price in such a short period of time.
I "might" take that as a HUGE indicator/red flag myself.

"to me, things like battery grip arent that important (gx20 should have a good battery life)...but for k200d, spending $30 on a battery grip is a no-brainer "

I use good rechargeable AA's in mine.
I have two sets actually. :wink:

http://www.battery-force.co.uk/detail_AMAANI004V_Ansmann_MaxE_AA_Pack_of_4.html

I see no need for a battery grip...awesome batteries they are.

"So, K200D or GX-20?"

You asked...I answered....."K200 :D "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:05 am 
kpr wrote:
]"So, K200D or GX-20?"
\

You asked...I answered....."K200 :D "

Yup, and I respect your opinion, I think what I'll do is ask someone who owns it because I really want the features, but I really hate to have in inferior camera. Thanks for the help. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:27 am 
kpr wrote:
I'm kind of lost how the exorbiant price puts a cam in the league of others or how it could "magically" just drop in price in such a short period of time.

it has dropped in price because of these reasons (as far as i know):

1. some websites are reporting the gx20 as being discontinued (maybe because samsung might be coming out with their own version similar to the k7?)

2. samsung is relatively new to the dslr market, so naturally, not many people would want to try out their cameras...as a result, they have to lower their prices to attract more people into buying their cameras (which is what they might be trying to do)...this strategy has worked for samsung in the past...just look at how theyve overtaken sony as the world's largest electronics company...samsung's TVs, cellphones, home appliances and other electronics are all dominant over their rivals these days

3. samsung's main selling point has always been good (comparable) quality at lower prices compared to their rivals, which is why they are able to sell more...and i think this is what they might be starting to do with their cameras...their camcorders (which are priced lower than rivals) are already selling in great numbers...i wouldnt be surprised if samsung starts selling its cameras at $100-500 lower than its competitors

just my thoughts lol 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:37 am 

So my first reply was a simple "shout out" for the K200.
I just had my morning tea and a quick read about the GX20.
From what I see online, it is a k200 that has a four more MP and a differant name/price on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:24 pm 
its more than that...its a clone of k20d, which is pentax's flagship...they wouldnt have made the k20d/gx20 just for the 4 extra MP

heres the thing...im not saying that the k200d is a bad camera...in fact, i would have no problem buying it given its current price...but, since the gx20 is being offered at similar prices, i would rather get that instead...and im sure most people would want a better camera if its being offered at similar prices as their entry level counterparts

if a canon 40d was being offered at the price of rebel xsi or if the nikon d90 was being offered at the price of d60, then im sure everyone in their right minds would opt for the higher end models

if someone thinks he/she doesnt prefer samsung's name on their camera or if theyre unsure about samsung's future in cameras, then by all means, youre welcome to buy pentax's products...having said that, i have had no problems using samsung's products

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:28 am 

I didn't see what was so hard to understand.

The GX-20 is a clone of the K20D without Pentax's RAW support (there is Adobe instead) and cleaner menu (in my opinion as I have the GX-10).

KPR, if what u say is true, then the K20D is just a K200D with 4 more MP. Don't post wrong info? -_-

Samsung+Pentax(Hoya) are in close relationship. K20D and GX-20 both use Samsung designed sensor, have same body design, although buttons are different (same placement though). They are almost exactly the same, so just get the GX-20. Why get the K20D if you can get its clone for cheaper?

What the K20D/ GX-20 offer over the K200D are the following (might have missed something)

-4 MP and CMOS sensor
-live view
-more seals
-in camera edit (more sophisticated than the K200D anyways)
-higher max ISO (1600vs 6400)
- a lot of other little features that I don't have time to type (ex: forward/backward focusing adjust, no scene modes, etc)

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:32 am 

GLXLR wrote:
I didn't see what was so hard to understand.

Me either...title of the thread is..."Need an opinion: K200D vs GX-20"
Jordan's question was..."So, K200D or GX-20?"
kpr's opinion/answer was/is...."K200 :D "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:37 am 

Interesting how it's said that the pentax is roughly similar to the 50D and D90 in terms of image quality. I can totally imagine the per pixel sharpness being the same, but I'm not sure about the noise performance.

that being said: use a flash instead of upping your ISO and you'll be fine :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:27 pm 

The GX-20is an more advanced camera than the K200D. If you can get it for a cheaper price than the K200D there is no doubt about that you should get the GX-20.

I have the GX-20, and for it's price it's a bargain. As already have been pointed out, it's a K20D with a different brand and a slightly different menu system.

I was also looking for a K20D, but I preferred the menu system of the GX-20, and since it was comfortably cheaper it was my choice.

Some may frown at the Samsung logo, but I couldn't care less about that.

Another key advantage of the GX20/K20D has over the K200D is a much better burst mode. The K200D's memory buffer is filled after three images while with the GX20/K20D you can continue to shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:29 pm 
Thanks for the help guys. As of now my only concern is that I won't be able to get a batter grip for the GX-20, but since the battery life is pretty decent (750 images compared to 500 on my current camera, which really isn't all that bad) I'm thinking that I should probably get the GX-20. I really don't care what name is on the camera as long as it's a good camera by a reputable company (so I know I have a good warranty.)

So obviously Samsung is a good company (I'm not talking about cameras, I'm talking about warranties.) And since it's basically a K20D and has good reviews it must be a good camera.

So as long as I won't really regret not being able to have a battery grip for ease of vertical shooting I think I'll go with the Samsung as I can always carry multiple batteries with me and thus battery life isn't really a concern anyway.