Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

What do you prefer?
Fisheye original 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Fisheye defished 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Straight ultra-wide lens 76%  76%  [ 26 ]
No ultra-wide lenses at all 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 34
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:15 pm 

Well, you can read all the numbers about fov and angles etc. like in this thread, but our new forum-member skelter asked for a real life view of the differences between a fisheye, namely the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye-zoom and another ultra-wide zoom like the Sigma 10-20mm.
As I don't have the Tokina 10-17mm handy I took my trusty Nikon 10.5mm fisheye out on this great day and made 2 shot from the same point of view with both lenses to compare. And I also threw in a defished version of the fisheye-pic for good measure. These defished versions were made in CaptureNX, but a word of warning here: I don't think (but cannot test) that CaptureNX will defish other than Nikkor lenses. So when defishing a Tokina 10-17mm e.g. you have to rely on third-party software.

So here are the results (all pics clickable for larger views):
|----------Nikon 10.5mm original--------||----------Nikon 10.5mm defished--------||--------Sigma 10-20mm at 10mm-------|
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

As you can see the defished fisheye is still wider than the "straight" 10mm but the edges have visibly lower IQ.

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:50 pm 
Wonderful, thank you very much, this is really the test I needed !
Anyway, now I am more oriented to the Sigma, than to a fisheye (nikon or tokina).
If you have other chances with different subjects, please feel free to post them ! ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:14 pm 
(Post self-deleted)

..::EMPTY::..

Last edited by SCREAMnSHOUT on Sun May 04, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:42 pm 
I prefer the straight wide-angle lenses for two reasons:

1. Saves me certain post-processing steps. This is a moderate benefit, since I always do some post processing regardless.

2. As Thomas points out, the image quality is usually higher in the straight wide angles.

However, grabbing a wider field of view onto one image can be an advantage is specific situation where you are unable to take two pictures and stitch later - typically when there is fast-moving action going on.

From an artistic point of view, fish-eye lenses save you a post-processing step if you want to have the distortion they offer.

The poll-results are as one might expect: there are more people who shoot wide angle without distortion.

Cheers :-)