Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:36 am 

Hi folks,

Ever wondered what 22 megapixels could do for you? OK, I haven't either, or at least I hadn't up until now.

There is a very nicely written and illustrated review of the Mamiya ZD Digital Back replete with 22 MP to be found at this PhotoCamel page. It includes some comparison shots taken with the highly regarded EOS 5D full (35mm) frame DSLR. Have a look at the portrait shots at the end of the review.

I don't think I have fallen into the trap ( :oops: ) of pointing you at a camera store this time! The source of the review is Frank Doorhof (a commercial fashion/glamour photographer) so I guess it is only fair to mention that his web-site is here. He does good work IMHO.

The thought of owning a camera capable of this sort of image quality is, for most of us, just a dream but, hey, it is nice too dream occasionally.

Bob.

P.S. I have just found a link to the same review on Frank Doorhof's own blog site. OK, he's a commercial photographer so his site exists to promote his work but if you follow this link you will find the same review. However, if you navigate through the subsequent pages you will find some more stunning images from this camera in his hands. If you need convincing then have a look at this image.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:59 pm 

Bob Andersson wrote:
If you need convincing then have a look at this image.

Hmmm, yes Bob. I haven't done all the due dilligence at that web-site, but the last photo is not proof of anything bigger than four-thirds...
Sorry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:34 pm 

tombomba2 wrote:
Hmmm, yes Bob. I haven't done all the due dilligence at that web-site, but the last photo is not proof of anything bigger than four-thirds...
Sorry!

I know what you are saying. Without pixel-peeping the original of the image in question nothing is proven.

Having looked through most of the images in Frank Doorhof's portfolio I am truly impressed by nearly all of his work - a great eye and I love his use of colour and lighting. I have no aspirations to ever use a medium format digital camera but it is nice to know that a guy that talented reports that a medium format back, such as the Mamiya, can significantly outperform the EOS 5D. If nothing else it will keep the Nikon and Canon FF sensor designers on their toes. :D

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:27 am 
Wow..some fabulous portraits there!!

Looking at the images, I found the differences between the equipment very subtle - too subtle actually.

The differences I did see, seemed to me to be easily attributable to lighting and technique, rather than the equipment. The down-sampling, my monitor, etc. doesn't do these kinds of resolutions enough justice.

But all that was overshadowed by how impressed I am with the portraits - the lighting and composition is exquisite!! If I had that guy in my corner, even my ugly mug would appear downright tolerable :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:15 pm 
I have to say that looks pretty darned impressive even on my PC monitor (which is a pretty good one but not "state of the art").

The difference in high-quality print is bound to be even more impressive.

The man IS rather good at what he does. I was indeed impressed by THAT image, amongst others.

All of that said, if the composition and the art of the image is GOOD, you don't actually need the last word in resolution - a terrible shot on the BEST system is still a terrible shot. And a great shot is still a great one...even on a kit lens.

Awfully nice icing on cake of his quality though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:34 pm 

MU51CL wrote:
I...if the composition and the art of the image is GOOD, you don't actually need the last word in resolution...

Good point. For me the biggest factor is image quality (low noise and high dynamic range, preferably with 14 bit A/D conversion or better) as that gives the most options when post-processing. High resolution comes a close second, however, partly because I'm a recidivistic pixel-peeper (RPP) but also because it provides plenty of room for cropping. In summary, I would love a high resolution high IQ sensor because it allows me more freedom to rescue poorly exposed and/or poorly framed images. Hmm, perhaps I should improve my technique. :evil: :lol:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:54 pm 
At the risk of being slightly off-topic, but still relevant I think....

With almost any human endeavour you need BOTH good equipment AND good technique for "high performance".

I come from a motor sport background and spent some time teaching "high performance driving techniques".
One of the tuning shops I know had a young fellow come into the shop to make his Subaru go faster. He was told "we do x and y to deal with such and such issue with these cars under high cornering loads" He said his car didn't do that. We persuaded him to come with me for a drive on a local twisty road in his car. Of course his car did what they all do and he experienced it for the first time.

He was at least smart enough to book himself in for a course. It was SO much cheaper than what it took to modify the car - just to learn to drive the thing properly. I guess the gee-whizz stuff under the bonnet came later :)

I guess it is the same with photography - when we master what we have, we know better what we want to do to improve things, in our own terms at least.