Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:25 pm 

You've certainly seen Gordon's review here. He gave this little p&s a "highly recommended" at 86%.
There is also a raving review from Ken Rockwell there with tons of images: "best digital pocket camera I've ever used, period". You know Ken :wink:
But I didn't see any "Official thread" about this camera. So let's start here.

Last edited by Thomas on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:28 pm 

For a not so expensive p&s the results look quite good between 80 and 400 ISO. And the camera must have some intelligent auto-ISO feature together with a good optical IS and the lens seems quite good.
So this could be a pocketable camera to replace my ageing Sony P200 (7 MPix, no stab, no auto-ISO)
And then there is this 3" bright LCD-monitor :D This is as large as on my D300 :shock:

What do you think? Anybody here considering this little thingy??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:45 pm 
I had to decide between the Ixus 870 and the Panasonic TZ5 for my girlfriend - I ended up buying her the panasonic, after all the extra focal range made up for the mariginal IQ difference - at least for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:10 pm 

Did you handle both cameras in a store or did you just buy online, Nostrum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:48 am 
Ixus 870 IS is a brilliant Camera.. all the features makes it one of the best pocket friendly compacts in the market.

I personally am not much bothered about the 28mm wide angle.. hence i would very soon treat myself with the Ixus 90 IS.. I hope the price of that camera comes down to £120 or some thing ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:48 pm 

Just ordered one (for my wife :wink: ). Will get a first-hand impression how this lowly cheapo gets along against a mighty D300 IQ-wise :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 pm 
Its gonna be way better :P.. lol

congrats.. do Try out the colour Accent and Colour Swap in the scene mode.. My fav features in the Canon ixus's. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:50 pm 

"colour Accent and Colour Swap"
What do these modes do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Hi Thomas, the Colour modes allow you to select a colour and either change it to something different (such as turning a red London bus green) or make it the only colour in an otherwise black and white image (like the girl with the red balloon in Schindler’s List).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:57 am 
Thomas wrote:
Did you handle both cameras in a store or did you just buy online, Nostrum?

I actually got my hands on them (working in a mix of online shop and proper store myself) and found the panasonic had a better "grip". I didnt compare the responsivness but I dont feel the TZ5 is reacting slowly in any way and the controls are just fine and simple on either camera.