Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dropped my D80...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:10 pm 

now it has a faint rattle.

The camera strap caught my chair's arm, and dragged the camera off the desk and onto the floor. The lens hood broke as well. No big deal, but when I shake the camera, it sounds like something is loose.

When I turn it on it's side, so the SD card compartment is facing up, the object inside doesn't move as much as when the lens is facing up. The sound is similar to when you drop a coin on a hard service and it gets faster and faster until it stops. But this object is really really small. Probably no bigger than a pencil's width.

I just purchased this about 3 months ago. Should I just leave it since it appears to be taking pictures fine. Then again, what should I look for?

I'm guessing it's probably off the electronic side of the camera's operations, since the mechanical all seem to be functioning.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:19 pm 

not sure what to say really, if everything seems to be working then you could leave it as it is. If you really are worried though, better to get it fixed under warranty and fast, now while you can live without than later when you might have a holiday or something and really wish you had it, if the problem gets more serious later on.

Nikon D700, Nikon D80, Micro Nikkor 105 f2.8 AI-S,Nikon 85mm 1.8D, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Nikon 35mm F2D, Nikon 16-35 f4 VR, Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 AF-S, Nikon 70-200VRII, Nikon 70-300mm VR, 300mm f2.8 AI IF ED, SB-800, SB-900. Noiseware pro,NIK Dfine, Nik Colour Effex, Nik Sharpener Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:21 pm 

check EVERYTHING!

i dropped my d90 and nikon replaced the sensor and the flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:52 pm 

Still on the warranty/guarantee? Hand it back to Nikon and dont say a word about the dropping, i dropped my camera with my lens on and it broke. So i sent it in and i got a new lens, even tho i dropped it. Then the AF-S was not working properly on that one so i had to give that one back...pretty much went 4 weeks without that lens....

But i would call them, and tell them that you feel that there is something wrong with the camera, the worst case scenario is that they dont do anything to it....

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 pm 

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm glad I bought this online, 'cause then I have the transaction recorded. I always lose my papers!

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:19 pm 

One thing I really wonder: How do you guys actually manage to get dropped cameras fixed under warranty? Does Nikon (or any other brand) not consider dropping faulty use? I mean, even cameras with sensor dust are refused for admission to service under warranty because of faulty use down here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:18 am 

i got my camera fixed due to the fact that it had zero impact signs.

also i buttered up the cashier a bit.

hehehe

alex- i think your camera would've gotten back to you faster, it just took longer cause of shipping maybe?