Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 am 
I recently went to Dpreview.com just look around whats going on there. There was a news from Sigma Corporation that they just launches the Sigma 18 250 DC OS HSM!! This is a serious KIT LENS KILLER!!

Quote:
text removed - see the next but one post in the thread

What do you think about this new lens from Sigma?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:55 am 
mechanically it will be very good because this is a complete superzoom lens, but image quality maybe the trade off? If the image quality is very good then this lens could be the best in its class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:09 am 

Hi Adi,

Just a heads up that DPR is an unfriendly site as they actively (through software) block their forum members from linking to us here at CameraLabs. While I strongly disagree with their censorious attitude that makes me even more wary about reproducing what is arguably their copyrightable text on the forum. As a result, regretfully, I've had to remove the quoted text from your post.

It's a good spot, though, so I've gone the extra mile and reproduced the details directly from Sigma's own announcement:
    New Product Announcement; 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

13.8 times high magnification zoom ratio lens, exclusively designed for digital SLR cameras and equipped with OS (Optical Stabilizer) technology
    18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM incorporates Sigma's original anti-shake compensation function, with a 13.8 times zoom ratio. As opposed to having an anti-shake function in the camera body, this lens’s Hybrid Optical Stabilizer provides not only an anti-shake function for the camera body, but also compensates for image shaking in the view finder as the Optical Stabilizer is built in to the lens. Incorporating four Special Low Dispersion glass elements and three aspherical lens elements provides excellent image quality throughout the entire zoom range. This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 45cm (17.7 inches) at all focal lengths and a maximum magnification of 1: 3.4 reproduction ratio, making it ideal for close-up photography. An inner focusing system eliminates front lens rotation, making it suitable for use with circular polarizing filters and the supplied petal-type hood. Incorporating super multi layer coating reduce the ghost in the backlight photography.

18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM
      Petal-type Hood (LH780-04) supplied
      Mounts: Sigma, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax
      * Vignetting will occur if the lens is used with 35mm SLR cameras or digital cameras with image sensors larger than APS-C size.
      FEATURES
    • Equipped with Sigma's own unique OS (Optical Stabilizer) technology
    • Four SLD elements and three aspherical lenses provide high image quality throughout the entire zoom range
    • Minimum focusing distance of 45cm/17.7 inches and a maximum magnification of 1:3.4 makes it ideal for close-up photography
    • Super multi-layer coating reduces flare and ghosting

THE SPECIFICATIONS (For Sigma mount)
    • Lens Construction : 18 Elements 14 Groups
    • Angle of View : 69.3°-5.7°
    • Number of blades : 7pcs
    • Minimum Aperture : F22
    • Minimum Focusing Distance Distance : 45cm/17.7in.
    • Maximum Magnification : 1:3.4
    • Filter Size : Ø72mm
    • Lens Hood : Petal-type hood
    • Dimensions : Ø79mm×101mm/3.1in.×4in.
    • Weight : 630g/22.2oz.
Looks interesting, although it's still a couple of months away from release. As Enche suggests, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating so the reviews will be instructive.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:15 am 
I have feeling that this lens will be pretty expensive, may be almost the same with nikon 18-200mm vr

I bet the image quality won't be that sharp but acceptable for consumer use which is the main reason they design this lens for.

I say that because this lens is a lil bit of a stretch, because the super focal length plus decent on macro. Usually the lens that try to do anything compromise the image quality.

this lens is made for pentax and sony mount also, but both of them has built in stabilization on the body already. So it might be not so cost effective for Sony/Pentax user. (They can see the OS in effect in viewfinder tho).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:31 pm 

HSM! Assuming it is of comparable quality/price to the Tamron 18-270 then I would certainly trade the length for HSM.

Consider me excited even if I've already got the Tamron...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:56 pm 
yay HSM - if the quality is similar to the tamron 18-270mm, this lens is gonna be really nice! I'm not sure wether I'll ever buy another Sigma though, due to my rather bad experience with their quality control and even more due to the fact, that the canon software (and in-camera correction) doesn't support 3rd party lenses :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:46 pm 
Thanks for the amendment & Extracting more info about it Bob! :D

I really want to share about it but I must have a proof where on earth I get those info so take some quote from DPR & now I realize that DPR article content are too many censorship! :x

About this lens sound like a fantastic package now comes with the HSM at least Canon can have it plus it is like two in one lens like the Canon EF18 55 & EF 55 250. Its a dream lens though but the optical might be the same as the 18 200 OS maybe :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:53 pm 
Sigma already has the 18-200mm OS HSM lens, so this isn't much of a stretch.

I'm anxious to read the reviews, but I have a feeling it will have to be pretty stellar for me to think about replacing my Nikkor 18-200mm lens.

I was very close to getting the Sigma 18-200mm over the Nikkor just for price... this is very interesting to hear about and I'll be watching for more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:07 pm 
Even if you have an HSM version it's micro not ring-type focus, so no manual override. One review site accidentally wrote it did have HSM and a manual override on the Canon version, but it really doesn't!

I doubt this new lens will have manual override as it has no focus distance window.

I have the 18-200mm OS with no HSM; Canon version. Because the largest aperture at 200mm is f6.3, the focus is very sluggish, repeatedly moving and stopping to get in focus. Not sure on the Nikon HSM version if it does this, but I don't think it will and neither will the Nikon and Canon 18-250mm OS. Although that one is still f6.3 at the maximum focal length, it's probably f5.6 at 200mm, and the HSM on all versions would help a lot.

Why doesn't Sigma smarten up and use f5.6? Nikon and Canon could!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:08 am 
Quote:
Why doesn't Sigma smarten up and use f5.6? Nikon and Canon could!

Because that would bump up the price a little and these lenses are really for people who want to do everything in one lens. 5.6 to 6.3 is just 1/3 of a stop and I doubt you're going to see any noticeable difference in focusing speed, bokeh or shutter speed increase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 am 
Hmmm Thinking to upgrade from my kit lens. Do you think 18 250 OS HSM is worth to upgrade because I'm really not sure how good the optical is, The recent review of the Sigma 18 200 OS the features Ok but talk about the optical quality is bit of issue on the mid range zoom in between 80 to 135MM tend to be Soft. If this the 18 250 OS HSM are much worse in performance than the 18 200 OS, I'll go for Canon EF-S 17 85 IS USM or maybe 28 135 IS USM because I really need a good image quality all the zoom range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:30 am 
B+H photo is now accepting orders for this lens at U.S.$549.00. It is not in stock yet. I am very interested BUT waiting to see a few reviews first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:48 am 
An f/5.6 18-250 or 18-270 would be massive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:01 pm 

So what do Canon users do if the 3rd party lens is not supported.

Can you still use the lens and correct for this or are you committed to buyng only Canon lenses?
I have a friend who bought a Sigma 70-300 for his Rebel and his pics are coming out rather "soft" or hazy/un sharp.
Can this be corrected?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:41 pm 
kpr wrote:
I have a friend who bought a Sigma 70-300 for his Rebel and his pics are coming out rather "soft" or hazy/un sharp.
Can this be corrected?

If the lens is still under warranty, you can send the lens + camera to Sigma for them to calibrate the lens to your camera.