Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:32 am 

Hi. My name is Nele, i am new to digital photography (i like old fashion way, film cameras etc..), but i came to a point that i want to buy a digital camera. So may experience with digital is very small, i used only power shot cameras of my friends and never for taking a picture of something special, just for fun if somebody would ask me to take a picture of them or something. I currently own a Ricoh KR-10 camera which is very similar to Pentax K-1000 which i also used to own and beside the camera i have a variety of lenses which i bought over time. Now i was doing some research on which digital camera to buy and i came across of Pentax K200D which is kind of something i want but i am unsure of one thing. 2 years ago i bought Pentax istDL because the guy in the store told me it will work with any Pentax lens. When i came home i realized that only one of these lenses worked. They would all fit on the camera but i could not take pictures, so i returned the camera and here I am now try to buy the same thing once again just in much better improved version. So my question is am I going to be able to use any of the lenses that I have on this new camera(none of them is made by Pentax but they are all K mount that works with all Pentax film SLR cameras and with the Ricoh that I have). The reason why i ask this question is if i can't use them than i might buy a Canon or something else. Thank you :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:55 am 
You couldn't take pictures probably because you didn't permit the use aperture ring in the custom menu. You could have been a happy *istDL owner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 am 

Hi Nele,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

Although you are intending to buy a new camera as this question as Pentax specific I'll move your thread across to the Pentax forum where members more knowledgeable than I may be able to help...

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:21 pm 

I found what was wrong. I just came back from a camera store. When i purchased camera 2 years ago i bought it in Future shop which is general electronic store and when i came back the guy at the cameras didn't know much about anything so i returned it. But now i got all the details about why I could not use them. It was because of aperture ring or about one other problem. I didn't turn it on manual focusing so if the lens was not perfectly focused and I pressed the button but nothing happened. So now i have all the info I need just I can't decide if I want K200D or K20D. I took the brochure and I will see which one fits me better. K20D is a little bit pricey for me but as the guy in the store said it is an investment. Well thank you again for you who answered my post anyway. And I hope that this information that I wrote will help to somebody one day that was in similar situation like I was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:22 pm 

And I am glad that I found this website because it gave me much more knowledge than I had before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:42 am 
So which one are you getting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:27 pm 

Well probably K200D since my budget can allow only so much for now. I am not a pro so I don't need pro camera right away. Sometimes later on I will buy something better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:27 pm 

What equipment do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:16 am 
I have a K10d and mostly manual focus lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:21 am 

All my lenses are also manual focus except one, that's why I was not sure if they would work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:51 am 
as I understand it... almost every Pentax lens from the past 25 years will fit and work on Pentax DSLR mount. A lot wont be able to Auto focus, but they will work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:05 am 

Think you should go ahead and buy the K20D if your budget allows (it is about $150 more) or you can get the k200D, which is an excellent camera by itself if you don't mind the burst speed and its weight. I also own an old lens from the 90s and to make it work, you simply have to put ur camera in Manual mode.
Hope this helped!
Excellent lenses for cheap include Pentax 16-45mm f/4, 17-50mm f/2.8 Tammy, Pentax (or Tammy) 18-250mm.

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:17 pm 

I really need your opinion now. I will be getting some extra money so I have 2 options

First: Pentax K200D w/ 18-55 & 55-300 Kit
$1,022.21

Second: Pentax K20D - Body Only
$974.44

So which lenses I have I think that better investment would be K20D (I really want that 14MP) the only thing that I like better on K200D is that uses AA batteries.

Personally I really don't need 18-55 lens for what I plan to shoot
I have
Ricoh Rikenon f/2 50mm
Ozunon MC Auto Zoom 1:3.5-4.8 35-75mm ( I like this lens very much)
Image Auto Zoom f/4.5 80-200mm
Cosina MC f/4 200mm
Albinar-ADG Auto 2x Tele-Converter
I would like this 55-300 but I almost cover that range with lenses I have
Later on I would buy a macro lens
Pentax DFA 100 mm f2.8 Macro
$519.95
and some big zoom or telephoto around 500mm 600mm
So I really think that K20D would be better choice.

Prints

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:09 pm 

Bonjour

jaxzwolf is having the pretty much same debate about K20D and K200D, :arrow: Older vs. Newer Model?.

So some of my contributions in the thread could help you :wink:

Keep in mind the K20D is rumored to be sooner or later replaced by a K30D: it's perfect time for bargains :)

What kind of picture do you plan to take :?:

Best regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:18 pm 

Well mostly I like nature and wildlife photography, and I want to do some macro, not really big fan of photographing people and events (to me it is boring and usually people want me to take the pictures of them the way they want and always say can I see and delete the pictures they don't like without even asking), I mean i would do sometimes some candid shots if I find something interesting

Prints