Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:25 pm 
Hello!

I have a question that I thought you might help me answer. I am leaving my home in about a week and I intend to be on a rather long holiday. During this trip I would like to be able to upload my holiday pictures for the people back home to view, or at least they want me to. And hence the question: Which site would according to you be the best? If considering things like user rights, speed, quality, sharing options. Haven't got time to compare and investigate myself before I go, so I would appreciate your help.

Just looking for a few tips! I know of some high profile sites, but only their names, so treat my like your average grandma when it comes to online gallery-knowledge.

Also as this is my first post, thanks for a great site, have been lurking and also trying learning for some time.

//JM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:26 pm 
First of all welcome to the forums! Great to have you onboard.
I myself use Flickr, and a lot of people on the forum does it too. They have a limi though, at 200mb per month or something. But if you're only uploading a few then it might be good :)
Anyways it's the only one i've used, so i have nothing to compare with :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:27 am 
Welcome to the forum!

I think Flickr gives unlimited uploads for pro users? Not sure.

How about an FTP server? You could convert a PC back home into one and just send the files home directly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:54 am 
I think Photobucket's pretty good.

http://photobucket.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:46 pm 
Thanks for the tips you have given me this far. Now I have sort of a follow-up question, how do these sights treat the rights to the pictures? Are they still mine for my use only, or is there some hidden lines in a loong agreement I didn't have time to read. Got a little bit reserved because of some things I read about the rights to pics uploaded on facebook. Not because I would mind if somebody used my pictures, of course if it was for some idiotic purpose I would, but I still don't like the idea as a principle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:52 am 
JMA,

I use Flickr and have a Pro account (extra fee). This is unlimited storage. Photos are your property. You also have the capability to mark photos for family or friends or both, which keeps them from public view. The downside of this is family have to be invited and they also have to create their own account. Uploads are slow from my experience but I am uploading full resolution jpegs so the files are bigger. Full resolution is a nice feature and gives you an online storage (not original RAW/NEF).

If you plan to travel w/ your laptop you could just email them back to family. I averaged 250 pictures per day and not all are worth posting or sharing (duplicates, exposure bracketing, etc.) until I get home and post-process.

I have not compared to Photobucket so I cannot give feedback there.

Welcome to CL and have a great trip. Share some photos when you get back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:36 am 

I mainly use photobucket. On the free service, there is a capacity limit but I haven't reached it in the couple of years I've used it. In part this is because there is a limit to individual image size, so you wont be storing the full/original version on there. Plenty big enough for screen viewing. You can password folders although I haven't looked into that in detail. They even give you clickable URLs to copy and paste into boards or web pages, and do clickable thumbnail generation of same.

Another one I've played about with is Picasa, mainly as it integrates with the software of the same name. That makes it really easy to upload to a gallery, but last time I checked you can't use them to store images for use in other web pages etc so I don't use it now. Viewing has to be done on their site.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:59 am 
I use a combination of Mobileme and Flickr for my photos, depending on where I am and what kind of connection I have. If im waiting in an airport, the connection never seems to hold longer than 15mins so I use mobileme's Idrive to quickly upload up - if I have more time I properly archive the photos online in a private collection to be edited at a later date.