Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:56 pm 
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how you would go about mounting a small DV camera to the bars of dirtbike? it doesn't have to hold a lot of weight but it needs to be secure. Can i buy one or will i have to make one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 pm 
Duck Tejp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:40 pm 
haha, i like! i may have to resort to duck tape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:36 am 
Tomis,

Try this GoogleResults

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:50 am 
gorillapod along with oodles of ducktape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:27 pm 
I don't know or can't remember if it talks about price in the vid

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2007/0 ... raphy.html

EDIT: scratch that he lists the prices down below

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 pm 
Thank you for the replys... i think i may be better off making my own as i dont have 70+ dollars to spend at the moment. i was surprised at how many DIY guides their are on the web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:06 pm 

I'm sorry, i have no suggestions at all. But when you find a sollution can you please take a picture of it? Because this is one thing i do not want to miss :D

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:50 am 
Here's my first go at it...

Parts used:

1X- 1/4"-20 bolt (HEX HEAD)= 0.52 (USD)

1X- 1/4"-20 Wing nut= 0.61 (USD)

1X- 3/4" PVC 40 threaded plug= 0.64 (USD)

1X- 3/4" PVC 40 threaded Tee (w/o bottom)= 1.17 (USD)

2X- 1" metal clamps (radiator hose clamps)= 1.57 (USD)

3X- Washers- Found the around house

Rear View

close-up of mount, i used a towel to protect the bars from scratches and also to ensure a nice snug fit.

with the camera on the bars i had to remove the bar pad as it was in the way, however as seen in this picture with the camera removed i was able to tilt the mount forward to allow the bar pad to be used.

I haven't tested this system in use, though i have confidence it will work splendidly. i'm not planning to use this to mount my DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:43 am 
Looks good. Can we hope you drive a little more cautiously when the camera is mounted :?: Your install looks like the DIY example that I also saw. I hope this is sturdy enough for your use. You may find that on your dirt bike the shock is too much for the PCV connections so you should try to use a safety cable (maybe zipties) on the camera in case the mount breaks. Hate to damage a good camera. You need to add a helmet camera lens to your wish list for next Christmas (maybe BDay?) :) Have fun and share some videos with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:51 pm 
Rebel702 wrote:
Looks good. Can we hope you drive a little more cautiously when the camera is mounted :?: Your install looks like the DIY example that I also saw. I hope this is sturdy enough for your use. You may find that on your dirt bike the shock is too much for the PCV connections so you should try to use a safety cable (maybe zipties) on the camera in case the mount breaks. Hate to damage a good camera. You need to add a helmet camera lens to your wish list for next Christmas (maybe BDay?) :) Have fun and share some videos with us.

Yes I modeled my mount after a DIY one i saw on your google search you provided me. A helmet camera would be nice, though i'd rather have a nice light tripod and small pelican case for hiking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:31 am 
Just got done testing the mount...

The good: It preforms well under calm conditions. wind noise is only an issue at 40 MPH +.

The bad: When ever I accelerate as fast as i can it skips a few frames, as well as jumping when I land the initial thud makes the camera audio cut out for several seconds and when I wheelie the camera comes out of focus until my front tire comes back down. It only came lose once which was my fault for not tightening it as much as poossible.

My camera wasn't built to take this many G's. its a sony DCR-HC21 standard definition mini DV camera.

My next step is a helmet camera as Reblel702 suggested, while i can't afford one i will attempt to tape my DV camera to my helmet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:57 am 
Maybe you should try to add some "suspension" to it? And upgrade that digi cam :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:45 pm 
alex168 wrote:
Maybe you should try to add some "suspension" to it? And upgrade that digi cam :)

That was my thinking, but then i realized having it mounted on my head i would act as the suspension absorbing most of the vibration and ruckus and what not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:57 am 
OK Tomis,

You have to have your friends take your picture with the vid cam duct taped onto your head! Maybe you could make it your new avatar :lol: