Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: fast, prime lens
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:12 am 
Hey all,

I have been looking at buying a very fast prime lens for my Pentax k200d. I was hoping to get something between a 50mm f 1.4, and 100mm f2.

Ive done a fair bit of research, but cant seem to make up my mind on anything.

If you know of anything suitable, or if anyone has one (Pentax brand, or third party), could you please let me know what you think.

Thanks heaps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:14 am 
You can try the Pentax smc FA 50mm 1:1.4 if you want a value for money package. Its not very sharp wide open but stopping down to F2 gives very sharp images. Its overall a pretty good package, i havent tried it myselp but I've seen its results, and i find them satisfying.

And if you are all about quality you can go for Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM, but remember you can not stop down any further than F16 on this one, and also its a bigger lens. But, quality is superb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:56 am 
Your choices are 50/1.4, 50/1.7, 50/2, 77/1.8 and 85/1.4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 am 
For best results,I would recommand the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 or the Pentax 70mm F/2.4.
Lenses like the 77mm are too expensive & a bit outdated in terms of optical quality,compared to today lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:50 am 
Perhaps so, but I believe the lens has its merit to justify the cost. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:54 pm 
Nope,it aqsually doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:29 am 
I have the Pentax 50mm f1.4 and would highly recommend it. I purchased it last November and have used it frequently. As others have said, this lens represents great value for money. I also agree that wide open, it does produce a soft image, though it's still nice to have such a wide aperture available for use. Whether or not it's usable depends on your standards, I guess. :wink:

On a visit to the museum, I kept to apertures of f2.8 and f3.2 most of the time, which worked out very well. But I was also happy with a shot taken at f2.2, even though I used ISO 3200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:09 pm 

Bonsoir,

If a 16-50mm could qualify, have a look at my :arrow: Pentax DA* 16-50mm f2.8 ED/AL (IF) SDM User Review.

Best regards,