Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tripod for travel?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:15 pm 
Hi Everyone,

What's the best Manfrotto light weight tripod for travelling? I'll be using a 70 - 200mm Nikkor so looking for something with strength.

cheers

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:28 pm 

Is price and size an issue :?:

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:36 pm 
What's your budget?

I would suggest checking out the Manfrotto thread in the Tripods section for some ideas.

Post subject: Travel Tripod
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:25 pm 
Price is a so so issue, I've already got a Manfrotto which is currently in the boot of my car which is parked far far away (I'll get the model number later & post it on this thread)....it cost me around $450 AUS and is amzing, love it, it serves me well. Only issue is weight. I'll be carrying most of my gear on my back for nearly a month through some pretty hectic places in excessive heat and humidity...looking for a lightweight compact Manfrotto carbon fiber for this trip, which already equates to $$$. Budget I'd like to be around $300 ish.....which I already think may not be enough.

I'll check out Manfrotto thread and see what fits the bill, if any.

If there's any travel photog's out there pls let me know what's served you well in the field.

BTW I'm buying the Flipside Lowepro 400 AW which has a holder for tripod or monopod and I'll be buying a 70 - 200m VR Nikkor today so that's the lens that will need to be taken into considering. I use a D80 for now, weight distribution may be an issue??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:25 am 

I'm a bit of a Manfrotto tragic, having four of them. The 190X PROB would be fine for what you have in mind, as long as you get a good, stable head. I don't like ball heads (all paremeters need to be adjusted simultaneously) but others do. The 190XB is also good, lacking only the swing column and bubble level, but (where I live) it's almost as expensive.

Depends what you mean by "travelling" though, as these tripods are 1.8 kg without head. Solid little fellows. I think carbon would save 200 grams or so, not much.

I can't speaker for the "digi" pods in the Manfrotto line as I haven't owned any, but I bought a Velbon Ultra Luxi F, which is light (1.3 kg with head), compact (39cm) and gets to a good height (1.3m without centre column raised). Also very quick to erect, just pull and twist the entire leg. Could need a bit of care with a heavy-ish telephoto (I have not tried it with one, and the tripod is rated to 2kg), but if you are after compact, it's unusually capable for its size.

Hope that's of some assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:44 am 
HilaryC wrote:

Depends what you mean by "travelling" though, as these tripods are 1.8 kg without head. Solid little fellows. I think carbon would save 200 grams or so, not much.

Just for accuracy

Carbon version (190cxpro3) 1.29 kg

Aluminum (190xproB) 1.80 kg

All other features are practically identical however. Same load capacity, max height, etc.

Manfrotto has this little tripod and head calculator thing that may interest you if you are trying to decide what to get.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/man ... 82/lang/en

When purchasing my tripod, I read extensive reviews on B&H and Adorama to get an idea on what people's experience with the combos were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:23 pm 

[b]Syncharmony wrote:[/b]

Just for accuracy

Carbon version (190cxpro3) 1.29 kg

Aluminum (190xproB) 1.80 kg

:oops: You're right, of course - I was thinking of the older model.