Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Suggestion for new DSLR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:13 pm 
Hi Everybody,

I've been using Panasonic FZ20 for a while and now I wanted to go for DSLR. I did a lot of research online and my confusion between NIKON and CANON got even worse.. :) Since, Im a beinginer I thought I will go with a entry level DSLR either Nikon D40x or Canon 400D with a decent lens that can help me to get good results. One of my friend sugested me to go for Nikon D80. So please suggest me a good camera for a beginner with some good lens.

Also, I wanted to know if the deals that are offered in http://www.digicombos.com are really worth buying?

Thanks,
Barani K Srinivasan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:41 pm 

Hello Barani, and welcome to the Camera Labs forum!
Well, first of all "digicombos" seems to be an ok shop, see here: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/DigiCombos. Always check before you order from an unknown etailer with reselleratings!
Second: suggesting a DSLR without knowing what you like photography-wise and technical-wise is a hard job. We don't even know your budget!
So give us a little input, to make our suggestions more to the point...

Last edited by Thomas on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Barani, further to what Thomas has said, check out our Budget DSLR Buyers Guide here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:19 pm 
Hello Gordon and Tombomba,

Thank you very much for you reply.

My budget is within 1000$ may be + or - 200$. :)

Actually, Im based out in India. Here not many good stores sell Canon or Nikon DSLR. The very few who sell say that they cant open the seal of the Box and if opened then i need to buy it out. More over the price is very high compared to that of US market. Here they sell Canon 400D with 18-55mm kit for 42000Rs ( 1050$) and Nikon D40x for 800$. This is why i'm planning to buy the cam in US thro a friend of mine.

I tried Nikon D80 and D40 which belongs to a friend of mine today. I felt D40 to be very small in my hands. That too with 18-135mm Lens, the body seems to be smaller than the lens. He was also saying that Nikon produces much sharper pics than Canon. Is it really so? What im looking for in a dslr is sharper and well balanced colorful output.
Like i said before, Im new to photography and in the proces of learning. As of now Im very much interested in landscape and portrait photography.

Thanks,
Barani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:23 pm 
Hi,

Today I got a 400D :) Its seems to be cool.

Thanks Gordon and Tombomba.

barani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:01 pm 

Good stuff mate - as is the custom here, update the signature 8)

Hope you have fun with the camera :D

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!