Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: F/8 and be there!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:23 pm 
Hey guys!

I've come a long way from when I first started photography, to working out in the field. I just wanted to share some insight on how to work your way up, like I did.

1. Get involved in the community.
I attended too many events and took photos everywhere with my first DSLR (which was the Nikon D50). Every now and then when I go out in public or something, some people would be like "hey! you're that guy at the BMX race." or something.

2. Education and Connections
I've spent hours at bookstores, libraries, online, attending workshops, etc. learning about photography. Also I can't stress how important a formal internship can be, over the summer I interned at about 3 studios. Don't expect to be on the frontlines on day 1, I started out as the photo organizer, worked my way to up from there.

3. Portfolio.
A good portfolio is KEY. For photographers a portfolio of your work, speaks louder than a resume. Get people to critique your work, talk to people you know, talk to art teachers if you're still in school, a little advice here and there will help a lot! Learn from your mistakes, and mis-takes.

4. Obtain credentials
This is sort of like interning at studios, but if your school has a yearbook program or something, and they need a photographer, go for it! If a parent asks you to document their kid's soccer game, or wedding, whatever it may be. Also don't be afraid to ask for a little payment for your time.

5. Motivation is essential
The field of work here is very competitive, so don't be discouraged, by our equipment, missing the shot, other pros around you etc. Your determination and motivation is what sets you apart from the rest of the crowd. Remember, hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.

Final tip: Always ask questions. You learn more if you ask someone else.
The cameralabs forum is the finest place I have ever seen. This community is full of bright people that can help you out whenever you get stuck.

Keep me posted! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:06 pm 
Thanks, for that, really ood info, i am doing some of those already :D ! Although not all of them, also what does intership, and interned mean?
Thanks, i am sure lots of us will find this useful, or to our benefit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:15 pm 
if you're an intern it means you're new or just there to do some minor help etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:21 pm 
Oh, right thanks anel-slo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:51 am 
Quote:
if you're an intern it means you're new or just there to do some minor help etc...

And it also usually means you get no pay :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:25 pm 
Will-McK wrote:
Quote:

In return one's repaid with experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:06 pm 
That's right Photoj!

As an intern you gain some experience on what it's like to work in the real world, a small taste is what I like to call it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:04 pm 
Ok, i get what it means now!
Oh and guess what, i have been asked to take pictures of my mums friends kids! Basically, i'll just take some pics of them, and if she likes them, she will buy them off me! So i guess, thats free experience, and if they are any good, i could get some money in return :D !
Also the great thing is, if she thinks i am good, she will tell, all her friends, and then i will hopefully be asked to take more, and trust me my mum's friends, have ALOT of friends lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:40 pm 
podgeorge wrote:
Ok, i get what it means now!
Oh and guess what, i have been asked to take pictures of my mums friends kids! Basically, i'll just take some pics of them, and if she likes them, she will buy them off me! So i guess, thats free experience, and if they are any good, i could get some money in return

Experience, maybe, but you need a way to identify where your strengths and weaknesses are; it's not an internship by any means (where you may have adequate supervision/support to your learning). Good luck.

Last edited by Photoj on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:44 pm 
Ok, thanks!
Can't wait to get started!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:15 am 
podgeorge wrote:
Ok, thanks!
Can't wait to get started!

Glad to hear it! Your journey begins one step at a time, so keep it up!

Don't forget to use those pics as portfolio work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:41 pm 
Will-McK wrote:
Quote:

depends on who you work with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:00 am 
many internships are a paid job, although it is significantly lower than regular job. I think interns should ge paid or compensated in some monetary form.

Interns need to pay rent and food also!

Also don't hesitate to discuss about this and nature of the work with your future employer, because you don't want to go there unpaid and your main job is carrying and cleaning tons of equipments all day long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:10 am 
Enche Zein wrote:
many internships are a paid job, although it is significantly lower than regular job. I think interns should ge paid or compensated in some monetary form.

Interns need to pay rent and food also!

Also don't hesitate to discuss about this and nature of the work with your future employer, because you don't want to go there unpaid and your main job is carrying and cleaning tons of equipments all day long.

exactly!
it isnt the military! it's an internship.