Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:57 am 
Site Admin

Sony has officially announced the Vaio P netbook series at CES today. Press release below:

• VAIO P-series combines sleek design standards with the latest technology to create the most stylish form of a powerful yet portable PC
• Super light (638g) and compact yet comfortable typing and viewing experience
• High-speed mobile broadband with embedded 3G technology
• Windows or fast-access XrossMediaBar function for complete versatility

Sony today announced the launch of the VAIO P-series; an ultra portable PC with a new form factor, weighing a mere 638g and measuring just larger than a standard office envelope. Open this stylish PC and you have embedded 3G connectivity, a well designed full keyboard and a brilliant high resolution screen.

The VAIO P-series is able to fit easily into a handbag or jacket pocket, yet it reveals a specification including 2GB of RAM, up to 128GB solid state hard drive*, and a vibrant 8-inch VAIO X-black LCD display, making photos and videos sharp and vivid. And for writers and bloggers, a candid or inspirational moment won’t get missed when you want to write and keep those ideas safe whenever they pop up.

Equipped with VAIO Everywair WWAN, the VAIO P-series allows mobile broadband at your fingertips. It has the latest high-speed standards capable of high speed download and upload using the 3G mobile phone network, so you can stay connected with friends, family and colleagues while on the go. You can check your emails during your daily commute, surf the web for news while waiting for friends, upload the latest images on social networking sites, post a blog or enjoy a video chat with the integrated webcam and microphone. Inbuilt GPS capability as standard in the VAIO P-series means that finding local restaurants, bars or meeting points is fast and convenient.

The screen measures 8-inches with a power efficient LED backlight and a resolution of 1600 x 768. Such high resolution means you won’t be scrolling the web browser sideways, as you can work comfortably with two windows side by side. A practical ‘resize’ button located below the keyboard automatically and equally distributes multiple windows across the screen.

Unique to the VAIO P-series is the option to start up in Windows Vista® or to use the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar). The XMB user interface, familiar in the PSP™ and the latest BRAVIA™ TVs, allows quick access to features such as instant messaging, browsing the internet, playing back music and more.

The VAIO P-series comes in four eye-catching colours; red, dark green, black and white, all with a high gloss piano finish. The VAIO P-series range will be available in the UK in February 2009 from www.sonystyle.co.uk, priced from £849. Accessories include matching colour carrying cases and Bluetooth® mice.

*An exclusive model (VGN-P19VN/Q) is also available online for pre-order from Sony Style (www.sonystyle.co.uk). It has a 1.6GHz CPU and a Solid State Drive instead of a conventional hard drive, offering 128GB of super-fast flash memory with the added advantages of enhanced reliability further reduced weight (618g) and faster access to data.

Model
VGN-P11Z
Processor Intel® Atom™ Z520 Processor
OS Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with service pack 1
Memory 2048MB (On board)
HDD 60GB Ultra ATA/100
Screen 8” X-black LCD, 1600 x 768 resolution
Weight & Size 618g, 120 mm (depth) x 245 (width) x 19.8 (height)
Others VAIO Everywair WWAN (7.2Mbps HSDPA/2Mbps HSUPA), WLAN 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N, Bluetooth®, Motion Eye webcam

Model
VGN-P19WN/Q
Processor Intel® Atom™ Z520 Processor
OS Genuine Windows Vista® Business with Service Pack 1
Memory 2048MB (On board)
HDD 60GB Ultra ATA/100
Screen & Size 8” X-black LCD, 1600 x 768 resolution
Others VAIO Everywair WWAN (7.2Mbps HSDPA/2Mbps HSUPA), WLAN 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N, Bluetooth®, Motion Eye webcam

Model
VGN-P19VN/Q
Processor Intel® Atom™ Z530 Processor
OS Genuine Windows Vista® Business with Service Pack 1
Memory 2048MB (On board)
HDD 128GB SSD Flash drive Serial ATA
Screen& Size 8” X-black LCD, 1600 x 768 resolution

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:35 am 
That's a lot of pixels to pack into an 8" screen! What's the difference between the first two models Gordon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:03 am 
Site Admin

Good spot Graham, I pasted it in rather a hurry from the press release - I suspect they've got the CPU wrong on one of them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:49 am 

Sounds nicer than the typical current netbook, but you pay for it :) It would really fly if they still offered XP on it. No mention of battery life though?

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:18 am 
Ah I knew something was up. :)

Sony seemed quite determined that people know it's not a netbook, now I know why. It costs a lot more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

I'll try and get one in for testing, and one of the first things I'll do with it is see if I can install XP! I hope they have some official drivers available...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:38 am 

I just want

Dual Core 1.8Ghz Atom with SSE4 and 64bit

2-3GB Ram

Nvidia Video (ION?) Chipset

And 1280x800 or greater screen res. (pref 1440x900)

Sure its a lot of pixels to cram in - but give people the option.

Its the best effort so far I just dont like the screenshape.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!