Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: NIKON SB-800
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:35 pm 
I have recently bought a D80 and would like to try some home studio shots of my extended family. The different coloured backgrounds are easy enough to fix up in a spare room, but what lights should I buy.
A couple of SB-800 wireless flashes would seem to be quite safe with the kids running around, but can they be attached to a stand with an umbrella or softbox. Is an umbrella needed with the SB-800s? Should I get a wired flash system with a softbox and umbrella?

I have looked at lots of makes/manafacturers/options and there seem to be infinite ways to spend lots of money on something that might be not quite what I want for my little home studio.

Any advice would be gratefully received .
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:38 pm 

MarkG,
I don't have a home studio but own one SB-800 and already have some experience on using it remotely when shooting a party at a "Skih├╝tte".
I placed the SB-800 on a table, hold it up in my left hand or put it on a cupboard. The ceiling was not of the best neutral color so in some cases I just aimed the flash strait at the room.
I was quite satisfied with the resulting "crossfire" of the built-in flash of my D80 and the SB-800, although sometimes my own person was in the way of the remote flash, casting a nasty shadow :x
But still: the addition of some wider room illumination made for some much better balanced pics than just shooting with one flash from the camera position.
If you mount this system to a tripod and use an umbrella to reflect the light I'm sure you would get very nice results, esp. if you consider buying a couple of SB-800s.
If you don't have money like hay, just start with one and convince yourself of the astonishing quality of the SB-800. You can also use the SB-600 as slaves :idea:

Pictures see here: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sb800&w=38912116%40N00