Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: MacWorld
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:58 pm 

Hi folks,

A few items of interest at Macworld. The major hardware item is a new 17-inch MacBook Pro

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:07 am 
For an extra 50 USD you can get a matt screen on the 17" MBP, i hope they do the same on the 15".

some nice updates to iPhoto and iMovie as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:37 am 
Why do people hate the glossy glass screen so much? It was one of the main reasons I upgraded to my 24" imac when I did. I love how rich it makes the colors look.

Bob, that Macbook Pro you're pictured there looks sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:11 am 
glossy is unpopular mainly among professionals because it shows glair and colors are not accurate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:12 am 
Glossy screens artificially boosts saturation and contrast giving a more pleasant but innacurate representation of graphics so they are bad for photo/video editing. For gaming, movies and casual use however, they look nicer.

Glossy panels are also cheaper to manufacture, I think that's the main reason why Apple went down this route. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:34 am 
grahamnp wrote:
Glossy screens artificially boosts saturation and contrast giving a more pleasant but innacurate representation of graphics so they are bad for photo/video editing. For gaming, movies and casual use however, they look nicer.

I'm sorry but that is not true, it goes against physics and logic. In fact these panels show the true display output, since a glossy screen is just a clear panel of glass or what ever material. This means the light from the LCD will pass through largely unchanged, its like looking through a window. A pane of glass does not enhance contrast or saturation. It is in fast matt displays that alter the image you see as these will reduce contrast and saturation as the coating (a 'rough' surface in comparison to glossy) will scatter the light coming from the LCD. Hence why they give the illusion of "reducing" reflections, they are still there but just scattered (like looking through a steamed up window).

So in conclusion glossy screens give you the true picture whereas matt do not and the problem in most cases lies in the colour set up of the display.

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:43 pm 
I wasn't referring to the actual glass/plastic in front of the LCD panel, it's not possible for that to increase saturation or contrast of a display, I agree with you. However, the actual display panels used behind the glass are not the same and the finish of the matte display alone doesn't account for the differences in the picture quality. You will notice that not a single professional LCD monitor designed for graphics work is glossy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:30 pm 
I have to agree with Graham on this one, glossy screens tend to make the colors "pop" and matt screens tend to be closer to what a print might look like. but were not here to argue everyone has there own personal opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:31 pm 
...and the battery is so good, you don't need to replace it. And that's a good thing because you can't remove it. Weird design decision I think.
It is a good looking laptop, hopefully they get the Quad core in it soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:49 am 
WHOA :shock:

17" Screen MacBook Pro are now revealed it seems to be heavy but will worth it

But still my Macbook 13" ( White 2007 Model ) look seems to be bit of outdated :cry: . Apple Laptop & iPod are always replacing the new one every year :x

Is there any possibility that MacBook are going to make Netbook like Sony or HP Netbook? Perhaps it will call MacBook Mini ? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 pm 
Hey, the reason they release new ones every year is not because they have a lot of new technology to add, but to make certain people feel like they're behind on the latest gadgets and force them to think that they NEED to buy it...

I think that with Asus coming up in the market with their EEE models, Apple is bound to release something in '09 to retaliate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:10 pm 
I hate that idiotic glossy tendency... months ago I went in shop to buy 24 iMac and run away "scared"... Hey, I saw all the shop behind me instead the pic!!!!! I am not buying computer to shave myself on it ?!!?!?!?!