Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sigma 24-70
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:31 am 
Hey everybody!
Have anyone have any experiences with the Sigma 24-70?
Im thinking about buying that one for a Nikon D90
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:40 am 

Hello tornval, here is a review I would trust. It was made on a Canon, but should be fine as an indicator for performance on a Nikon D90.
Be aware though that Sigma quality control is a shame, so you should buy at a dealer, where you can give the lens back without prohibitive restocking fee.

------
19 to go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:27 pm 
I've seen the lens and handled on a friend's camera. First impressions are that the lens is both heavy and large. Image quality wise, it's pretty good and the constant f2.8 is something that I'd like.

You might want to wait a bit before buying though. Sigma are releasing a new f2.8 24-70mm HSM(!!) lens in a few weeks which should go on sale by the end of January. Even if you don't buy this new lens, it would be wise to wait and see if the price of the old one drops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:10 am 
Can't wait the Brand new Sigma 24 70 f/2.8 HSM for the Canon Mount sadly the previous 24 70 does not include the HSM which I had been tried on my friends 24 70 ( attached on the Canon 350D ) tend to noisy AF motor & it's body way too ugly :x So I have to wait for the new one hope that cheaper than the Canon EF 24 70 f/2.8L HSM :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Sigma 24-70
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:49 am 
tornval wrote:
Hey everybody!
Have anyone have any experiences with the Sigma 24-70?
Im thinking about buying that one for a Nikon D90
Thanks!

if it's anything like my 24-60 2.8- you'll love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:18 am 
I have the non HSM version and as long as you can live with its limitations then its a great lens for a great price!

regarding the 2.8 feature, the one i bought is sharp in the middle at 2.8 but not in the corners.

Starting from f4 you will get good corner sharpness, 5,6 to 8 gives you really good corner sharpness.

The weight is perfect with my canon 30d.

Worth noting is that there is a small amount of lens creep:
If you hold the lens upwards at 24mm then it will slowly fall down to 35mm.

Regarding the noisy micro motor it doesnt bother me much, sure it sometimes searches but that is in most situation not a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:27 am 

Think you should consider 18-50mm or 17-50 by sigma and tam respectively because when you use the 24-70mm on ur D90, it becomes a 36-105mm and thats not very useful range (wide anyways).

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 am 
Most people don't buy a fast lens for it to be wide ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:16 am 
The HSM version of the 24-70 is reputed to have an SRP of £799.

That's just insane!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:55 am 
pgtips wrote:
The HSM version of the 24-70 is reputed to have an SRP of £799.

That's just insane!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT!!!! :shock: :shock: :evil: :cry: :evil:

Thats TOTALLY INSANE .

Why Sigma Why, WHY ???!!!!!!! I though this HSM version are much cheaper than I though I'll better go for the Canon EF 24 70 f/2.8L HSM at no matter what it cost!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:42 am 
Lolita Love Photography wrote:
I'll better go for the Canon EF 24 70 f/2.8L HSM at no matter what it cost!

Exactly what I thought. It's only £300 cheaper than the Zeiss 24-70 for Sony Alphas, and if I'm going to spend £800 on a lens I might as well spend an additional £300 for a Zeiss glass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:45 pm 
it is good for nikon shooters tho, nikon 24-70mm is $1900

anyway here are some sample of the hsm version, looking good!

http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=602310

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:43 pm 
Enche Zein wrote:
it is good for nikon shooters tho, nikon 24-70mm is $1900

anyway here are some sample of the hsm version, looking good!

http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=602310

Thanks for Sharing! & WOW the image sample by Sigma 24 70 are superb! ( But Pricy!)

& Congratz for reaching up to 1000 posts! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:20 pm 
haha thanks, i didn't notice it.

here is the review from feng niao (hummingbird), a chinese website, quite thorough with a lot of samples and pics.

http://209.85.133.132/translate_c?hl=en ... OzxZq7xNAw

seems like the capability is awesome. I personally like the compact size, hsm and weight.

i agree with the conclusion

Quote:
End evaluation of this Sigma 24-70F2.8HSM lens, positioning it so that I can not help but the characteristics of association to the last evaluation before 50mmF1.4EX DG HSM Lens Sigma. 在适马镜头里,这两支镜头是少有的高画质高配置加高价格镜头。 At Sigma lens, the two lenses are rare high-definition heightening Price high to configure the camera. 相信这两支镜头的出现绝非偶然,在现在这个竞争激烈的商业社会里,产品精品化高价化、品牌高端化是很多企业品牌的终极目标。 I believe these two lenses do not emerge accidentally, at the current highly competitive commercial society, products of high quality and high-end brands are a lot of corporate brand of the ultimate goal. 因此,它们的出现让我们感觉到适马似乎正在调整自己的品牌定位,它们在告诉我们,适马希望摆脱“副”厂廉价路线,而在尝试走高品质高价格路线了。 As such, they let us feel the emergence of Sigma seems to adjust its own brand positioning, they told us that the Sigma is to escape this "vice" factory cheap route, and in trying to move up the quality of the high prices of the route. 如果真是这样,我们相信,在此之后,适马还会陆续推出类似定位的镜头。 If so, we believe, after which Sigma also launched a similar positioning of the lens. 也许,下一个就是16-35mm这类经典镜头。 May be, the next is such a classic 16-35mm lens. 对于消费者来说,付出比原厂镜头稍少的价钱,就能买到素质和原厂不相上下的产品,这,或许并不是个坏事情! For the consumers, they pay slightly less than the original price of the lens, you can buy the same quality and original products, which, perhaps not a bad thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:07 pm 
I made a review of the non-HSM version of this lens(Canon mount).
Here's the link: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18953