Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:39 pm 

*edit* Succumb to bumping the price up as there are so few tripods up to £50 :(

Hi all,
I've just upgraded to the SX10 from my old powershot A85, this weighs a bit more than the A85 and now i'm having trouble with the guerilla pod i bought last year :roll:

I always used the 2 second timer for my podded shots, but even after the time lapse, the stupid thing is still going *boing* :(

Anyway, as i need a new bag for the SX10, i figured i'd get a better tripod as well, unfortunately i can only really justify ~£50 tops on the tripod.

My main shooting consists of still subjects and vistas, but if possible, i'd like to be able to aim up and down as well as pan.

I obviously need something steady in the head due to the cameras weight, i understand that rules out plastic heads, but from spending all afternoon searching, i think it's going to end up costing me the full £50 and there just don't seem to be many available in this price range.

Does anyone here with far more experience than me have any suggestions for what i have to go for?

Many thanks.

Dave.

Last edited by MaDMaXX on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:53 pm 

I've found a couple but without things like Amazon reviews, i'm a bit lost on if they're any good or not.

* Slik Sprint Pro

* Slik ABLE 300 DX (If i can find it cheap enough)

* Slik U8000 Tripod?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:11 pm 

Ack, now i've read that i shouldn't get a tilt and pan head, or is this rubbish?

Am i likely to get a *much* better tripod for under £100 instead?

PS. Why are there no real reviews or advice (other than spend a lot of cash) for tripods on the web?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:10 am 

I personally think that a budget of £50 is on the low side and that you would get a much more stable and versatile tripod for a budget of £100.

I like the Giottos tripods and a few weeks ago I upgraded from a Giottos MT-9242 to their MTL8351B (EDIT: MTL8361B), a carbon fibre tripod with a centre column which can be rotated through 180 degrees, allowing a lot of flexibility for shooting. I bought this tripod (new) online for around £130, much cheaper than it should be (pricing error I think), but they also have models for under £100.

I don't mind carrying this around with me and I have done a lot of hill walking in the last few weeks and have carried it everywhere I go, however you should definitely take weight into account when choosing a tripod and decide whether you are prepared to lug it around with you. Many photographers choose not to use a tripod for this reason.

I would go for a 3-way head, but you should try out the different heads and see which suits you best.

http://www.calummacnab.com

Last edited by calmac1991 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:24 am 

Thanks Calmac, i think from what i'm seeing and what you're saying, that i should look to spend between 50 and 100 instead.

However, this is for an SX10, it's no dSLR but i don't want to have the wibble effect when trying to take pics.

It seems as well, that you can get a good name brand, but some of the lower end products aren't very good, so i'm wary of not having a recommendation.
This, coupled with the fact i can't really go and try it, makes it all the more important that i can get some trusted opinions from people who know what they're talking about ;)

I was going to go with a 3 way head as being locked vertically doesn't sound like a very useful feature, so long as the 3 way can hold steady enough for the ~600g SX10, it's fine.

Although weight is a consideration, it's getting on to be right at the bottom of the list, if i'm going to take photo's with a tripod, i'll lug it where i need it, i don't tend to carry the camera around on the off chance of a shot.

How did you find the Giottos MT-9242? why did you upgrade and were the screw locks (whatever they are) a problem/annoying/not good?

The MTL8351B looks nice, but it's about £185 and that's just extracting the urine for my equipment :oops:

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:04 am 

Here are the main ones i found on Amazon after selecting the £50-£100 bracket.

I've little idea which is a good make and which ones are best avoided.

Canon
Canon Deluxe Tripod 200 (Quick Release) with 3-Way Panhead & Free Case

Cullman
Cullmann Stativ Twinrail 100
Cullmann Universal Euro Uno m. Etui 54110

EX-Pro
Ex-Pro TRIAD80 Heavy DUTY Ball & Socket - Ball & Socket - Professional 100% Aluminium Build Photographic Camera / Camcorder Tripod (405mm - 1475mm) rubber tipped, Extremely High Quality

Giottos
Giottos GTMTL3261B - 3 Section Pro Aluminium Tripod With Vertical Column
Giottos GTMTL3271B - 3 Section Pro Aluminium Tripod With Vertical Column
Giottos GTMTL3361B - 3 Section Pro Aluminium Tripod With Two-Way Column

Konig
Heavy Duty Professional Aluminium Tripod with Ball Head for Camera/Video

Slik
Slik ABLE 300 DX Tripod with 3 Way Panhead
Slik PRO 400DX COMPLETE
Slik PRO 340 DX Tripod - 147cm
Slik Sprint Pro II GM Tripod with Ball Head and Tripod Case
Slik Goodman Digital Tripod

Velbon
Velbon SHERPA 200R TRIPOD +PH157Q
Velbon MAXi 347GB TRIPOD +CASE
Velbon Sherpa 450R Tripod with 3-Way Pan Head Kit
Velbon Ultra MAXi M Tripod
Velbon P-Max
Velbon Ultra Luxi M Tripod

Vanguard
Vanguard AK-4 Tripod & Case
Vanguard PH-22 PH-22 Tripod Accessories
Vanguard MG-1 Tripod
Vanguard MG-3 Tripod
Vanguard VT-288 Tripod
Vanguard MG-2 Tripod

I guess it might be easiest for people to strike off ones they know to be poor?
Or just point out ones they know to be good :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:51 am 

MaDMaXX wrote:
How did you find the Giottos MT-9242? why did you upgrade and were the screw locks (whatever they are) a problem/annoying/not good?

The MTL8351B looks nice, but it's about £185 and that's just extracting the urine for my equipment :oops:

The MT-9242 is now a discontinued model, although you may still be able to find it some places. I didn't have a problem with the Giottos screw locks, as they can be locked/unlocked with about a quarter turn, and you can lock/unlock both of the screw locks on each leg with one movement when it's folded, so it allows for very fast folding/unfolding.

The reason I upgraded was mainly the tilting centre column to make close-ups easier and for the extra height. It also has much wider legs, so is more stable.

The MTL8361B (I made a mistake in my earlier post) is stilll available on the site from which I bought it for £130 if you can stretch to that, otherwise the list that you have provided looks good. Check reviews and group tests online to help you decide. Of course, aluminium tripods will cost a lot less than the carbon fibre versions.

Another make you should look at is Manfrotto, as they make good tripods. I'm afraid I don't know all the brand names in that list, so I can't really advise you about them.

A good tripod is likely to last many years, and will probably outlive your current camera, so one day it might be used for a DSLR.

http://www.calummacnab.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:46 pm 

Thanks again Calmac, the only reason i didn't list the Manfrotto is because Amazon didn't do them :oops:

Again, if anyone can poo poo any of these makes and/or models, please do.
Of course if you can highly recommend a specific one here, or for under £100, please please do :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:49 pm 

Just in case anyone was still thinking, i've gone and bought the Slik pro DX400, should arrive before too long, if i get chance, i'll post up some impressions of it.