Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: First DSLR!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:36 pm 
Hey folks!

I know this subject pops up time and again on this part of the forum, and I have read most of the other threads that deal with the subject.

Basically what I want (in a nutshell) is something thats easy for a first time dslr user to get to grips with quickly and obviously take good pictures with.

I will probably be doing a lot of band and concert photography so this will be in low light conditions - I know most kit lenses aren't going to deal with this in a spectacular fashion and I'm on a bit of a tight budget.

I've been looking at the Nikon D40 and the Canon 400d and they are really the main options, I've had a play wiht both cameras and I'm basically even more confused than I was before!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jamie, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

If you're shooting in low light, a nice bright lens is going to be very useful. So whatever system you decide upon, also look out for a 50mm f1.8 lens - they're affordable and gather much more light than standard kit zooms.

The D40 and 400D are both great cameras, although you should also consider the D40x (a 10 Mpixel version of the D40), along with models like the Olympus E-410 and E-510. Have a look at our Budget DSLR Buyers Guide for some comparisons...

You'll notice some cameras (and lenses) have anti-shake - this is really useful for taking photos in low light, but the subject itself also needs to be still - so don't buy it thinking it'll help with your concert photos! (It is useful for other stuff though)

You should also pick up each camera in person to see which looks and feels best to you - even the noises it makes are important, so press the buttons and see what you think...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:44 am 
Most of current in-body IS implementations (A100, E-510, K10D) let you use about 3-4 times longer shutter times (~2 EV) than w/o it, so when you need 1/150 sec (recommended at 150mm) you could get down to let's say 1/50 sec - IMO it's nice at concerts as well :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi lcf, actually it's better than that - when they say 3 to 4 stops, they mean a halving of the shutter speed for each stop. So if you started at 1/150, then one stop would be 1/75, two stops would be 1/37 and three stops would be 1/18... four stops would be 1/9!

Most lens-based stabilisation systems give you the same amount of compensation though - 3 to 4 stops normally...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:34 am 
According to recent comparison I've read with E-510 in-body IS vs Leica 14-50 OIS results at 35mm were as follows: sharp at 1/40 sec w/o IS at all, sharp at 1/6 with OIS (almost 3 EV) and sharp at 1/20 and slightly blurred at 1/10 with E-510 in-body IS, so it doesn't make full 2 EV for me. Results in tests are described as an average from 7 to 9 shots.

It may be different story with other bodies and lenses, of course - and focal length can affect results as well, but I didn't spot any good analysis of that, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Have you seen our own comparison of the E-510 with the Leica lens here?

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Olym ... ica1450mm/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:12 pm 

Watch out, JamieA! The excellent prime-lens 50mm f1.8 cannot be used with a D40 or D40x (only manual focus)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:49 pm 
Oh, I had been looking at that!

That firmly places me in the Canon camp I think - I'm actually possibling going to make a purchase in the next few hours, I'll let you all know how I get on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:06 pm 

Or you could buy an end-of-line Nikon D200. Much value to be had there says I.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:15 am 
JamieA wrote:
Oh, I had been looking at that!
That firmly places me in the Canon camp I think - I'm actually possibling going to make a purchase in the next few hours, I'll let you all know how I get on.

U`ll came back with 400D, U`ll see:):):). Hope that U enjoy your new camera whatever U buy!

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:29 pm 

I would have said 350D or 400D aswell.

The D40 and D40x do not have the AF motor in the body so any lenses that need that are basically Manual Focus only. Plus the menus are to long, and often accessed settings do not have a dedicated button.

PS

I am also getting the 50mm F/1.8 lens, but remember (in case you didn't notice) it doesn't zoom, hence it is a fixed focal length lens.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:14 pm 
Came back with an EOS 400D kit, 2 sandisk cf cards, a lowepro slingshot badg and a Tameron 55-200mm lens, all in all a good days work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:56 pm 

Congratulation on your new gear, Jamie! Many happy shots and "let the focus be with you"!
Please update your signature, so we all know what you're talking about in future posts.