Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:54 am 
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a photography related job this year but have no idea where to start. :(

Most people are looking for wedding or portrait photographers. But I have no such experience whatsoever. Not because I'm not interested, but I've never had a chance to shoot in a wedding. (None of my friends is about to get married and I don't know any wedding photographer whom I can assist either.)

Actually I don't care what kind of job it is or if I'm going to get paid or not, as long as I will be learning something. And I can only work part time as I have college classes to attend.

I think it'd be nice to become a studio photographer assistant so I could learn some lighting techniques from him but I can't seem to find such jobs. If I can't find anything, I think I will end up working in a photo lab as they are everywhere, or a Starbucks...

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:26 am 
I think it is a great idea if you could land a job as an assistant photographer.

The experience alone is worth the effort. If the photographer you are assisting is a good one, you will gain an enormous amount of knowledge.

So I highly recommend trying to find a local studio/photographer who can use an assistant either on the field, or in the studio, and work with he or she because you will not only learn his or her techniques, but you will understand and have experience working with clients and doing "professional" work.

Best of luck,
-Sean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:55 pm 

I landed 2 jobs in under 2 weeks - why does everyone else find it so hard?

LOL

I just googled to find companies in my area, and phoned them all.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:20 am 
well post an ad, for free wedding photography, then if your good start charging money, im sure their is someone out their who cant afford a photographer ,but wants nice photos taken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:21 pm 
I bring my equipment (one camera and a few lenses only) to any wedding i went to this summer and fall......
I mde it a point to get as many good shots as i could from my seat or moved a bit.

I definatly made it a point to spend sunday editing the photos and emailing the bride and groom a link to thier photos on my site.....
they then forwarded the link to thier frinds......
presto.... instant word of mouth!