Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D200 review
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:57 pm 
Thanks for teh review - detailed and impartial, I thought.
But I had one problem - on the Intro page you say
"in this review we'll compare the D200 against Nikon bodies positioned both above and below it."
but on your results page you show only the comparison with the model above, i.e. the D2X.
I have a D70 and am keen for info to help me decide whether to upgrade, an expensive move by my budget standards.
Did you do comparison of the D200 and a 6mp camera, and if so is there any chance of publishing them?
I'm sure I'm not the only user of D100/D70 considering upgrade.
Thanks for all your work on these reviews.
Geoffrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Geoffrey, thanks for your message and I'm glad you found the review useful.

I've mentioned a few of the differences between the D70 and the D200 during the review itself, but in the end decided to post the two Canon samples in the results pages.

I do want to show the results for the D70s at some point though, so will prepare a new comparative results page in the future. In the meantime, the results in the D50 review (see the bottom of the front page) give an indication of the resolution and noise levels you can expect from the D70s.

Certainly in terms of resolution and build quality, the D200 is a big step-up.

Gordon

Post subject: D200 review
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:39 pm 
Gordon

Thanks for your note, and I've now read the D50 review as well.
As you say, some idea can be formed from that, although in terms of resolution, your test shot of London (St pauls ?) covers approx same area for each camera but teh enlarged samples do not exactly coincide. so comparison is not direct (the 3rd extract in each case is very close).
Certainly I'm hearing from multiple sources that teh resolution is increased significantly, I guess I would have ideally liked to see a direct comparison.
Cheers
Geoffrey

Post subject: D200 review
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:12 pm 
Thanks for a great review of the D200.
Points I would like to see covered include a review of the RAW capabilities of the camera as well as software support from companies like Pixmantec (RawShooter Premium) DxO Optics (DxO 3.5) Adobe of course (Elements 4.0 and CS2) and the like.
I would have liked to have seen how compression in RAW mode is specified, how many steps and its effects on the NEF sizing.

It would be nice to also see pictures with the new 18-200 VR lens also offered as a 'kit' lens. I have both of these lens and would like a comparison at some point.

Overall, a great job!
:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hello SiCHIPS, welcome to Cameralabs! I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

I'm currently working on a small update to the review which will include RAW results taken with the D200 and D2X, although for now I will only use Nikon Capture to process them.

Also look out for a Nikon lens mini group test coming soon!

Gordon