Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:41 pm 

The lens arrived at my doorsteps today and the first shots in dwindling daylight were already taken.
Expect the usual story (yes, including Siemens-stars :twisted: ) to unfold in this review thread and let's all hope that the story has a good ending and is not terminated after 14 days (the limit where you still can give gear back that you bought online in Germany)

So stay tuned...

-----
P.S.1: Whether the price difference between the old AF 50/1.4D and the new AF-S 50/1.4G is worth it can be further discussed there.

P.S.2: Die deutsch-sprachige Version dieses Reviews ist hier.

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:33 pm 

The store ordered my 50 1.4 has not received it, but will be here on wednesday. I look forward on your first insights on this lens!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:03 pm 

Wanna see a comparison shot side-by-side with the Canon IXUS 870IS?
Head over here.
Well, it seem's to keep up with the p&s 4x zoom :P
~~~
More serious insights will come...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:10 pm 

Wanna see sharp images at f/1.4? Whoa!!
Yes, they are currently processing before uploading to flickr.
See you after a short break...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:45 pm 

Now here is the final load of Siemens-stars. All done with intitial AF at f/1.4 then switching off AF and taking the aperture sequence to f/8.0 from that setting. This is to prevent incomparabilities within the aperture-sequence from focus-shift.

We start with the sharpest of the sharpest: f/8 and then go down one stop each row to f/1.4!
To the left is the centre-crop, to the right the corner crop. Keep in mind though that I'm still testing with a lowly DX-format body, so there can be no implication whatsoever on how well the lens performs in the corners of the brand-spanking new D3x!

f/8.0: Image Image

f/5.6: Image Image

f/4.0: Image Image

f/2.8: Image Image

f/2.0: Image Image

f/1.4: Image Image

Following is the second try after some manual focus fine-tuning*.
f/2.0: Image Image

Finishing this series is the old AF 50/1.4D.

You can clearly see the sharpness of the lens deteriorate below f/2.8. But look at that 2nd and 3rd last row of crops: They are done at f/1.4! For this aperture the performance counts as "very good" in my book.
If you compare these crops to the crops of the Nikkor AF 50/1.4D (last row) you'll find though that the new lens is not necessarily sharper than the old one.
------
* This counts as "cheating" in my book as you normally don't have the time to rely on manual focus. And don't think you can do this through the viewfinder: never ever! You need to do live-view from a tripod and manually focus the lens :shock:

Last edited by Thomas on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:23 pm 

And finally a real-life shot at f/1.4:

The Grid:
Shot at ISO 200 1/180 sec, cropped to 3595x2542. If you click on the image you can get through to the full glory and peep at pixels until your eyes hurt...

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:40 pm 
I see some CA in the upper left corner of that photo. That's with pixel peeping, of course ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:51 pm 

Yeah, CA there is. I'll also try the dreaded "dead tree against the glaring sky"-shot to compare to the performance of the Nikon Nikkor 85/1.8D here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:27 am 
Thanks Thomas. That's quite a difference between f/2 and f/2.8! Any thoughts about how it compares against your older 50 f/1.4, images maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:08 am 

Yeah. I'll put up some comparable shots for the AF 50/1.4D soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:40 am 

In the meantime...
Shooting around today (a lot at f/1.4) came up with some issues regarding auto-focus. One shot showed a clear focus on the foreground although all focus-indicators lit up on the tree in the background :?
So I went back to the lab testing for front-/back-focus. Found some back-focus which could be corrected for with some micro AF adjustment (around -5...-15) but that is not finally conclusive. There is the issue of the micro-focus test-chart being 1m away which might yield other results than some further away subject. Oh boy, this will keep me occupied for sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:56 am 

An hour later...
Yep front-/back-focus depends on the shooting distance :shock: :!:
Close-up to the test-chart at 60cm distance the optimum micro-AF-adjustment was -15, at 1m it was -5, and finally at 1.8m it was around 0. This also turned out to be the optimum (non-)adjustment for further-away subjects (20m). So next time you use a focus test chart try the results at different distances. :idea:

Don't ask me for reasons, perhaps the deteriorating close-up quality of this lens influences these results :?

Well, now you ask at what distance did I shoot the Siemens-stars? That was at 1.2m so you could expect a little better results when optimal focus is attained at f/1.4 (I've added this shot to the collection above) but as there are some slight focus variations anyway don't expect anything significantly better, not even with live-view (I tried).

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:09 pm 

hey Thomas,
interesting results, hopefully there is no such thing as sample variation in this lens, because the pre-production model had some front focus issues on close focussing. I'm impatiently waiting for my lens to come! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:26 pm 

I've added f/1.4 shots from the "old" AF 50/1.4D to my Siemens-star post. So with respect to sharpness the old and the new design seem to be equal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:47 pm 

Btw. an interesting comparison of bokeh and dof at f/1.4, f/4.8, f/16 and a Canon IXUS 870IS at f/4.5 can be found here. With links to the large original photos.

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.