Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Change of heart
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:55 am 
Well my mom has a friend who is going to the states for a few weeks and so I decided to get the 80-200 F2.8 ED and the 18-70mm DX lens instead of the 18-200mm VR. I can't help feeling the VR feature is way overpriced, especially in the UK. The truth is that VR doesnt stop moving objects. So if you want to take a shot of kids running around, with an f4 lens and VR you arent any better off than with a lens that not got it. At some point, I might opt for the 24-120mm but for now I feel these two are a better choice.

Then there's the fact that the UK charges 1000 pounds for the 80-200mm F2.8 and the states has it for half that lol. Lucky me with the exchange rate the way it is at the moment.

Now the waiting game begins again, I will probably only get these by the 22nd of Feb. But hey, for half price, thats to be expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:03 am 
Site Admin

Hi Greg, I don't blame you for getting fed up with waiting for the 18-200mm, and you're absolutely right about VR and other optical stabilisers - they can combat camera shake, but only a fast shutter speed will freeze a moving subject. That said, I still think any optical stabilisation can prove invaluable.

You're also right about the exchange rate being currently favourable for UK people buying in the US, but remember any goods being brought into the UK and declared to customs through the red channel (or if you're caught in the green channel) will be subject to UK tax and duty - which will work out at about 25%. And make sure you get a lens with an international warranty - but then you already know about that!

Which only leaves me to say that if the price is right, please also consider buying it through one of our associate shops like Amazon or Adorama, as it's these price checks and purchases which fund Cameralabs! And if you want to, say, freeze today's exchange rate, you can always buy a gift voucher today and buy the goods with it later.

Do remember though that if you're buying from one of the websites like Amazon, they will only deliver to a residential address and not a hotel.

Best of luck anyway!

Anyone want to reassure Greg on his new choice of lenses, or perhaps talk him out of it?!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:59 am 
hahaha, no talking me out of this one lol. Even if I paid 25% of £1300 dollars, its still a saving over what id pay over here. Why do I have to declare the lenses anyway> If my moms friend were to carry the lenses in her hand bag with just the soft cases they came with would they really insist she bought them in the states and had to pay import tax?? What if she said she was bring them back to the states and was over for holidays?? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:54 am 

You do have to be careful with Customs. If your friend goes through the green channel and is stopped she will be liable to pay import duty for the lenses and VAT at 17.5% on top of that. A person carrying two lenses without a camera body and other kit doesn't look like a normal photographer. Also you'll want the paperwork for the lenses. How many people actually carry round the paperwork with them? Once again this makes it look like she is trying to evade import duty.

I'm not sure what the rate of import duty for lenses is. Import duty depends on the product being imported. A quick Google has suggested it might be 0%, 4.2% or 6%. If you take the worst case scenario of 6% then at $1300 (£654.35) you would pay £160.64 in tax. You have to assume this will happen.

I will add that I have never been stopped by Customs and have regularly carried through more than £138 of new stuff, mainly clothes from the US which is easy but I have worn an expensive watch as well. I had the boxes in my luggage so if I had been stopped I would have had to pay duty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:19 pm 
It's fine, even if she does pay £160, it still works out cheaper. The f.2.8 lens is 1000 pounds here and in the states its 900 dollars or about 450 pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:24 pm 

Hey Greg, cool down!
I know the 80-200mm F1:2,8 is a beautiful lens, but why do you youngsters always act as if they have no time :roll: In fact it should be the elderly like me that try to get what they want a.s.a.p. (at least we have much less time left than you).
Still think of it:
1. The 18-200 is cheaper+lighter+smaller than any other solution that you are currently discussing.
2. The VR thing is great in many situations
3. You can always compensate for the smaller aperture with an increased ISO (you know, you can do it, esp. on the fantastic D80)
4. And don't cry, when you loose a pic because you couldn't change the lens fast enough. With the 18-200 there's almost no need to change!
5. If you're ready to invest some money, why not buy the 18-200 immediately at a little higher price. That was the same situation with me: I already owned the body, but didn't have a chance to get the lens in time and at a good price. Then I made up my mind and went to a store, where they had the 18-200 as a "kit lens" for a D200. They happily sold the lens to me, but only at list price. I never looked back...

Last edited by Thomas on Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:05 am 
It's all good man, it just depends what your uses are. I never print any of my work, and also, you can always crop an image if you take it with a zoom that isnt quite good enough. Ultimately, the VR is the main saving grace of the 18-200mm. Other than that, the other lenses are sharper, and at least with the f.2.8 the build quality is a bit better. On the whole, pound for pound, this way is going to get me something that will teach me to use what ive got on there, as opposed to taking it for granted that ive got a lens that does the 18-200mm. I had a 50mm and a 70-210mm on my old slr before and it never bothered me. :)