Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: it seems like...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:23 am 
not a whole lot of people in these forums use pentax. why?

i mean other than the whole personal preferance thing, is there something
generally wrong with their stuff that turns people off pentax?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:04 am 

Nope, nothing wrong with their stuff. Read Gordon's reviews!

By the way, I hope this question is prompted by a genuine interest in the Pentax brand with a view to a possible future purchase. Otherwise some may see it as being deliberately provocative, despite the fact that CameraLabs forum members are above that sort of thing. Had you any particular model in mind?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:34 am 
Pentax market share in DSLR market is one of the last one. it is approximately less than 4%, while Nikon and Canon have around 40%.
Even Sony and Olympus has better market share (6%)

So in the general forum like this, people that use Pentax are a lot smaller.

But Pentaxian are known for their hardcore loyalty to the brand (Pentax) partly maybe because of their exotic lenses, and usually flock in exclusive Pentax online community in the web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:41 am 

Bonjour,

When I was looking for dSLR, I noticed finding information on Pentax cameras wasn't that easy. CameraLabs was one of the few sites to provide tests, along with video tours.

Thanks to Gordon's review, I bought a Pentax dSLR and published user reviews of my gear, available here :arrow: Pentax K10D Related User Reviews.

I received nice feed-back from other Pentax owners and purchasers, and exchanged great tips around Pentax cameras and lenses.

Welcome to the club :)

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:37 am 
i'm a young photographer, and just about 6 months i have pentax, i do not pay any attention to its glorious past or rich old lens heritage, however i find the current pentax models very appealling. i think it's not that succesful as canon or nikon, because they mainly focus on producing the product with a priority of image quality, and do not have such wealth to concentrate on marketing.. therefore those, who in some way end up with pentax, appreciate the unique colors and image quality as well as the versatility and customization of the camera, see that producers, while crreating the camera were thinking about the photographer and its needs. and usually stay with pentax.

i think the last 3 yers for pentax are the start of the new beggining. they created good models, however are not yet that appreciated as canon, however they gain more and more respect among reviewers and serrious users.
i think K30D will be one of the most succesful models of the next year. among sony, olympus, panasonic, fujifilm, and will put pentax again in line with canon and nikon.

these of course are only my speculations..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:04 pm 
Lenses selection
would be able share/borrow lenses easier
easier to find a service centre if I needed it

Ultimately though I had seen positive reviews, i.e 'which dslr' etc and both Nikon and Canon seemed to get the most praise, so I went and felt both a 400D and D80 and the D80 was the clear choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:27 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Nope, nothing wrong with their stuff. Read Gordon's reviews!

By the way, I hope this question is prompted by a genuine interest in the Pentax brand with a view to a possible future purchase. Otherwise some may see it as being deliberately provocative, despite the fact that CameraLabs forum members are above that sort of thing. Had you any particular model in mind?

Bob.

my questions were based uppon the most likely event of me buying a
pentax. i was thinking the k-m or the k200d

i really like the feel of the k200d, just holding it in my hands i can feel that
its built really well.

but i also like the other features of the k-m, more portable, 3.5 fps
(opposed to 2.8 fps)

so yeah, thats bassically what ive narrowed myself down to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:28 am 
My rule of thumbs is get k200d if you plan to do general photography, outdoor for example, paired with DA* lens (weather seal) it will be great.

km is designed for portability and will be nice to pair up with many pentax prime pancakes lenses.

Unless u're going to total portability, seems like k200d is better because it provide more balance when you use longer/heavier lenses.

Pentax cameras are still struggling from slow cont. burst and AF in dim light so it is not ideal for action and sport photography.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:03 am 

Bonjour,

The DA* lenses are really fast, thanks to f/2.8 aperture.

See my reviews for the :arrow: Pentax DA* 16-50mm f2.8 ED/AL (IF) SDMand the :arrow: Pentax DA* 50-135mm f2.8 ED (IF) SDM:!:

Enjoy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:05 pm 

THe Km might be lighter, but it sacrifices the build-quality you love and weather proofing.

And there are A LOT of dedicated forums for Pentax equipment, probably cause its fans are loyal! :D

www.flickr.com/glxlr