Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:38 pm 
Which SD cards should I get for my TZ5 and SD1100IS that will be here by Friday (Hopefully)? Is there any advantages to getting a class 6 speed card? Will these two cameras support these cards? I'm looking for you guys and gals opinions so yell them out:) And any of you have either of these cameras or have had, let me know what your opinion of them are. Thanks everybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:23 pm 
my father has the canon SD1100IS and its a great little camera very responsive and easy to use. he has a sandisk ultra II SD card for it and it preforms very well. a class 6 card would work in either of these cameras but it wouldn't be beneficial as you will get the same performance from a less expensive card (class 6 cards are beneficial in a DSLR though). i hope this isn't too late. this isn't one of the most popular sections on the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:29 pm 

Hello poorboy, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
Just make sure that the card is of the SDHC-type if you buy 4GB or larger! The only thing that'll depend on the speed of the card is the repeat-fire rate of the camera. I'd invest in class 6 as that is the only way to be sure that the card is not holding the camera back. And you can use the card easly on future faster or higher MP cameras without having to buy a new one.
Although I suspect that you wouldn't see much of an impact with a class 4 card on the cameras you mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:38 pm 
Hello. First, I want to thank those who provide this forum. There are those of us who know very little about the new ¨Digital age¨ and I am one of the many who gets lost in the ocean of new digital formats, F stops, ect...

To expand on the original prosters question, I also just ordered a Panasonic DMC-TZ5, mostly for vacations and trips. I also ordered a second camera, a Panasonic DMC-FS5 for my wife to carry and use around town and at the house.

I am LOST regarding memory cards. I understand more GB = more photo storage per card but regarding card speed, the processor in the camera´s ect is where I get lost. So here are my questions.

1. Since the TZ5 also shoots HD video, would a 16MB class 6 card be what I need for this camera regarding not only speed but storage space of both video and still photos?

2. While on a vacation, using the TZ5, is one 16MB card usually enough or do most people carry more than one 16MB card?

3. If I am using a SDHC class 6 in the TZ5, will this same card also work in the FS5?

Thanks in advance for your opinions. I am sure I will have other questions in the future about the TZ5. One example is the graph, called a histo..something. I have no clue what that is or why one would look at it on the screen while taking a photo. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:57 pm 

Hello BAQ, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
You're almost right: exchange the MB (=Mega Byte) for GB (=Giga Byte) and you're on the safe side.
I just got one 16GB SDHC class 6 card for only 30EUR and it works like a charm in my new Canon HF-100 camcorder and the new Canon IXUS 870IS camera!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:04 pm 

You can forget about the graph if the image looks ok on your screen. But the graph shows the distribution of bright (to the right) and dark pixels (to the left) in your image. If the graph shows almost no pixels on the right (=bright) side you should try to find out in your manual how to make the image look brighter. If there are a lot of pixels pushing to the right border of the graph you should try to reduce brightness of your image as many highlights will show no differentiation.
But for a beginner: just trust the automatic and switch away all stuff on the screen - normally by pushing a button called "Disp"(lay) once or twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:39 pm 
Thanks Thomas. Is one brand name card better than another or are they all about the same ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:53 pm 
Thanks tomis and thomas for your input, I think I will go with a sdhc 4 gig card probably from either Kingston or panasonic. What is your thoughts on these brands? Does anyone have a brand they would suggest in a 4 gig sdhc? Thanks again.