Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:32 pm 
Hi All,

I'd like to add to an earlier review by Tomis, describing the physical aspects of this lens, by posting some photos so that people considering buying this lens, can judge its image quality.

I've used the Canon EFS 18-200mm IS lens on a 450D on a couple of weekend outings with the family to a farm, a derelict castle, the local woods and to a playground. I also took some test shots of static objects at home. I managed to use virtually the whole focal range of the lens and have uploaded 202 sample photos to my Flickr page (see below).

If anyone has questions about the lens do ask by replying to this message. You can also reply with comments about the image quality of the lens. Please ignore my technique as I'm inexperienced compared to many posters on this forum.

Regards,
Asif

Sample shots by focal length:

18mm

24mm

35mm

50mm

60mm

70mm

80mm

90mm

100mm

120mm

130mm

160mm

170mm

178mm

200mm

My full EFS 18-200mm IS set of 202 images can be viewed at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tufal/sets ... 513982025/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:37 pm 

Hi Asif,

Thank you very much for sharing. I'm tempted to move this thread across to the Lens Gallery. Would that be OK with you?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:25 am 
Nice photos. Your 18-200mm gallery on Flickr is well worth a visit. :)

I seem to notice some color fringing, particularly visible when you examine the full size versions (on the link you kindly provided) of the first photo (transition from the ladies' white coat to the grass) and on the £20 handbill (transition from the edge of the white paper to the black blackgound).

This seems more pronounced than on a Nikon VR 18-200mm. I'm being totallly honest here, it's not because I'm a Nikon fan. What do others think?

Also, there seems to be a lot of grain (noise), that I find strange for low ISO settings. Again, is it just me?

Could I be a pain and ask you for photos using this Siemenstern as a target, for comparable results?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:34 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi Asif,

Thank you very much for sharing. I'm tempted to move this thread across to the Lens Gallery. Would that be OK with you?

Bob.

Hi Bob,

It's up to you - whatever will help those thinking about buying this lens.

If you do move it, would it be OK if I later did a further review on how I found the lens in day to day use?

Regards,
Asif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:40 am 
luis wrote:
Nice photos. Your 18-200mm gallery on Flickr is well worth a visit. :)

I seem to notice some color fringing, particularly visible when you examine the full size versions (on the link you kindly provided) of the first photo (transition from the ladies' white coat to the grass) and on the £20 handbill (transition from the edge of the white paper to the black blackgound).

This seems more pronounced than on a Nikon VR 18-200mm. I'm being totallly honest here, it's not because I'm a Nikon fan. What do others think?

Also, there seems to be a lot of grain (noise), that I find strange for low ISO settings. Again, is it just me?

Could I be a pain and ask you for photos using this Siemenstern as a target, for comparable results?

Hi Luis,

Thank you for your feedback. You're welcome to comment on image quality no matter what set-up you already have.

I've had issues with grainy images and am now learning the ISO settings on my camera. As I've only been using a DSLR since May 2008, I'm inexperienced compared to many posters here so that probably accounts for the graininess.

I've not used the Siemenstern and will look into it at the weekend.

Regards,
Asif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:54 am 
I love photo number six... the little girls optimism that the twig will grow into a fine tree in the sand :lol: and Asif don't worry too much about the pixel peepers on here, for a non "L" series lens I think it works well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:24 am 

Hi Asif,

Great news that you are planning a User Review so I agree that this section is the best place for your thread.

But there's still an opportunity for you to create a thread for this lens in the Gallery unless, of course, someone else beats you to it in which case you'd have to add your images to the existing thread. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:29 pm 
Wow those are some great pictures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:54 pm 
Well, here are links to full-size test shots with my Nikon VR 18-200mm.

These are about 3Mb each. :!:

At 50mm and f/4.8.

At 50mm, f/8.

At 18mm, f/3.5.

At 18mm, f/8.

So if you'd care to post yours, we could compare!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:57 pm 
luis wrote:
Well, here are links to full-size test shots with my Nikon VR 18-200mm.

These are about 3Mb each. :!:

At 50mm and f/4.8.

At 50mm, f/8.

At 18mm, f/3.5.

At 18mm, f/8.

So if you'd care to post yours, we could compare!

Hi Luis,

We'll have to do this in another thread as I don't want this one to become a Nikon v Canon debate. My purpose was to provide a review and sample images for Canonians (or prospective Canonians).

Regards,
Asif

Last edited by Asif Tufal on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:02 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi Asif,

Great news that you are planning a User Review so I agree that this section is the best place for your thread.

But there's still an opportunity for you to create a thread for this lens in the Gallery unless, of course, someone else beats you to it in which case you'd have to add your images to the existing thread. :idea:

Bob.

Thank you Bob. I've used this lens on a few outings and here's my user review.

The lens is bigger and heavier than the kit lens and the Sigma 18-125mm DC OS HSM (my usual walkaround lens). The filter sizes are 58mm, 67mm and 72mm, respectively. Even so, the extra weight is managable on my 450D. Here are some photos comparing the three lenses, physically:

It's really useful being able to go from sufficient wide angle on a cropped sensor camera to telephoto, at the flick of the wrist. I think being able to crop in the lens is better than cropping the final image but this is debatable.

I didn't notice any real problems at 18mm or 200mm, as you'll see from the photos at the beginning of this thread.

Image quality? Well, I think you should judge this from the evidence - the photos in this thread and on Flickr.

I usually take portraits with the EF50mm f/1.4 but this weekend I wanted to see how versatile this lens is as an all-in-one. I used a Speedlite 430EXII mounted on my 450D (and the RC-1 remote control for my self-portraits). Please ignore the noise as the ISO was set to Auto (and I really must learn to change it!).

Self-portrait 1

Self-portrait 2

Anisah

Anisah & Yusuf

Are there any questions or comments?

Regards,
Asif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:23 am 

Hi Asif. Nice shots.
The 18-200 EFS lens from canon never really sparked my interest simply because of the focusing motor. Are you satisfied with the focusing speed and accuracy? I assume this lens has the same focusing motor as the standard 18-55mm kit lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:52 am 
quanger wrote:
Hi Asif. Nice shots.
The 18-200 EFS lens from canon never really sparked my interest simply because of the focusing motor. Are you satisfied with the focusing speed and accuracy? I assume this lens has the same focusing motor as the standard 18-55mm kit lens.

Hi Quangar,

Don't be too concerned that this lens lacks Canon's USM. I didn't have any problems in practice. The way I see it, if the focusing mechanism of a lens can keep up with my four year daughter and one-and-a-half year old son, then it's fast enough for me!

If possible, try the lens in-store. A lot depends on what you'll be shooting but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Regards,
Asif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm 

I actually dont test too many lens in stores a couple of reasons. You really need more than 10minutes to fiddle around with a lens in a store...I mean to really get how it performs in practice requires you to expose it to the real world. The option would be to buy it and return it if you're unhappy with it. But if everyone did that, than places that rent cameras/bodies would go out of business.

I bought the 17-55IS USM lens because of the fantastic reviews. I also played around with it for 15minutes in the store as well but probably wouldnt have bought it if it wasnt for reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:41 pm 
Schweppes lemonade is so good. i wish it was available in Canada!
The lense seems good with good quality from your pics. I have been thinking of getting this lense but to many reviews stating bad image quality etc have kept me away. Now seeing that there is nothing wrong with it i will look into it some more. Thank you for your post.