Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:44 pm 
Hi everyone,

I'm making the move into DSLR photography and would like some advice as to whether I should go for the D80 with the 18-70mm (and probably purchase the 70-300mm later), or the 18-135mm for a more general purpose zoom. I'm sure it depends on the photographer but if I were to go for the first option, would it be realistic to keep swapping the lenses for the extra reach or would it be less of a problem than I think?

Price is not an issue and any feedback would be much appreciated.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:03 pm 

Hello Markh, and welcome to the Camera Labs forum!
Weeeeell, if price is not a problem, why not go for the Nikon VR 18-200mm? It gives you lots of reach plus is stabilized - invaluable!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:08 pm 
This is an option I am considering and I would prefer a single lens. I will probably go for the body and the 18-200mm VR separately but there's just one thing: is there any significant loss in genera quality, given the fact that the lens has such a long focal length?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:16 pm 

You should at least read the "verdict"-page on Gordon's kit-lens-comparison here: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... roup_test/. The 18-200mm came out pretty good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Markh, you'd think the 18-200mm VR may be compromised due to its long optical range, but it's actually very very good.

Have a look at the results and Gallery pages in our review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikkor18200mm/

If you want a single lens to do it all and can afford it, then yes, it's the model to go for.

If you want a twin lens solution, then go for either the 18-55mm plus 55-200mm VR for a budget option, or the 18-70 plus 70-300mm VR for the quality option. If you're going for the D80 though, I'd sway towards either the 18-70 plus 70-300mm VR or the 18-200mm VR if you can afford it.

The 18-135mm is a really nice option as a budget single lens solution, but if you have a higher budget and or don't mind carrying two lenses, there's better choices.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:45 pm 
As to the Nikkor VR 18-200, look here, here and here to see how it looks when attached to a Nikon D40X (which is identical, on the outside, to a Nikon D40).