Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:25 pm 
So,I went to a local camera store & tested the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR.
I couldn't leave the shop,so testing CA & stuff like that was impossible. Still,I was very interested of the quality of details this lens can capture. (& how is a much better quality-deal than the Canon 17-85mm,considering it's half the price,in my country anyway)
This is a pseudo-test. :)

Some information:
- original setup:
(I moved a bit during the shots,so it's not 100% this frame)
-ISO used : 400
-no NR was used after the RAW conversion
-the shots were made just to compare the border quality,I didn't post any center crops because they were all crystal clear
-body used : Nikon D80 (my future camera is the D90 doesn't loose a few hundred dolars soon)

18 mm F/3.5, F/5.6, F8:

35mm F/4.5, F8:

105mm F/5.6, F8:

I tested also at 50mm,but there were very few differences between F/5 and F8.

Conclusions:
-as known,the biggest layback is the large aperture settings at 18mm,it shows pretty weak border quality; the distorsions here are quite acceptable
-as far as the other shots are involved,I can say this lens handles nicely the border quality.
-the VR works like a charm,just look at what shutter speeds the shots were made
-the only "annoying" vigniting was,at 18mm at widely open apertures
-mechanics: perfect for a budget lens-well built,feels solid,zoom ring feels very very reliable,no creep,MF ring as well,very nice and very silent when focusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:32 pm 
Is anybody interested about these results or I can delete the post? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:59 pm 
What are you expecting? These posts are here for people to reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:10 pm 
Don't worry, Razvan. Not replied does not mean not read. You can be sure this kind of topic helps lots of people! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:40 pm 
Please leave your post here. I've add it to this list, so it will be easier for others to find it, in a few months time. :)

I find the crops to que a bit noisy for ISO 400. Maybe it was because your targets were behind glass?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:45 pm 

Hello Razvan

I've just bought a D90 with this lens, and have done a few test shots. I found that at f3.5 focus point and alignment to the subject are critical to getting sharp shots. A degree or two off shows problems at f3.5 that probably won't show up at f8. Originally I thought it was pretty terrible on one side at f3.5 but when I put the camera on a tripod and checked the alignment, results were a lot better.

The lens does have softer corners at 18mm at f3.5 but overall it seems to have a rather good performance (nice and sharp in the centre) for this sort of lens, and is aided by the D90's CA reduction software. I'm happy with it.

As with any lens, there will be limitations, and it's a matter of seeing what they are and taking photos in the "sweet spot".