Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:51 am 
Hi Gordon and everybody!
I’m planning to move from compact (Samsung Digimax 530) to DSLR and for 2 months or so I’m reading and reading, but with all the reading came the big confusion. However I started from Nikon D40x as “the camera”, but after some reviews I dumped the idea (it has no Anti-Dust and Anti-Shake reduction, no autofocus w/o special lenses) and now I’m wondering between SONY A100 and Olympus E-510. Let me say that if the E-510 had 9 point metering instead of 3 point one I wouldn’t be writing this :) I thing I can go for its motorized manual focus, but I’m not sure I can do that with the metering. Can you help me decide which camera is better to buy? I’ll be grateful if someone gives me link where I can read about the metering and can see comparison between 3-point and 9-point ones. Thanks in advance. I wish you all great photos :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:14 am 
I'm not personally familiar with either camera but my number 1 tip would be to go into a shop and actually hold both cameras. This may make your decision in an instant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:35 pm 
I personally have an A100 and prefer it but it really depends on your circumstances. As TelexStar says, the best thing you can do is to walk into a shop and try them both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:07 pm 
I have the predecessor of Sony A100 (Konica Minolta Dynax 5D) so can recommend it for the fact that you can buy really great cheap 2. hand Minolta lenses for it. :) But if I should choose between the two I would think of how the lenses performed on the difference sizes of the sensor. In the end I would probably be unable to decide, these are two great cameras/systems :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:18 pm 
well from the reviews from this very site and all teh GOOD MAGAZINES the E-510 is a better all round camera!