Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Poor review images
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:45 pm 
I am often surprised at the lack of clarity in review samples presented on the web. Even camera/lens manufacturers present, what I consider, second-rate photo samples to sell their products. I know that sharper images are possible since most galleries are filled with quality images (it’s not my monitor). I get sharper images from my kit lenses than I see in most reviews. FYI: I usually take a 100% peek when offered. Even Gordon’s fiord always seems out of focus to me. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:03 pm 
crops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Brian, could you give me some examples? I always present 100% crops taken from images taken with the default settings - no tweaking unless otherwise stated - as I believe that's how most people will use the cameras - and also the only way to compare them on a level playing field - out of the box if you like...

Post subject: Samples
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:50 pm 
This was a risky post, and I may be sorry to have sorry I started it. I am speaking very generally. First, when I look at samples of Olympus lens or camera images, on the Olympus' site, they seem less sharp than I would expect (even with very high quality lenses). This holds true of lens samples on other sites (that I will not mention because they are trying to provide useful information), as well. And with images that you, Gordon, have described as sharp. Again, this is very personal and subjective, and I do not have the experteese to defend the correctness of my statements. I guess I'm asking if there is an aspect to images beyond my limited consideration that would explain my impression, or are there others out there that see the same thing, but have chosen not to mention it.

Damn, Gordon, I don't know how to say that without sounding like I'm accusing you of something, which I certainly am not. I don't mean to accuse anyone of anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:11 pm 

Hello BrianS. Nothing wrong with your post :)
It is absolutely natural that 100% crops don't look sharp. I myself have yet to see one totally sharp 100% crop! But this is what people call "pixel-peeping" as the print of the complete pic has to be very large (someone here to calculate how large?) to see the same effect.
This is also due to the fact that your monitor has a res of about 100 dpi and every printer you buy today goes beyond the 300dpi needed to print a 10MPix pic at DIN A3. So in effect the monitor is not the most realistic test for sharpness...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:03 pm 

Ah! So its not just my crummy camera work that makes the images not as sharp; snap!

As for the images, they seem fine, but I want to know how Gorden gets the lens/camera test pictures can be in the exact same place every time, including the one with the model, and the one to show the zoom lenses!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Daniel, I always use the same location for my coverage shots and note the position and angle of my tripod for subsequent comparisons - I also normally take a print out of a previous shot or view a copy on a memory card so I can better match the composition on-screen. It can all take a while!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:08 am 
Thanks tombomba2 for cutting me a little slack. However, since what I'm saying isn't that obvious to everyone, my post should be reconsidered in favor of more relevent discussion.