Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:14 pm 
Hi there guys!
I soon on my way to Kenya, on a safari trip. Time to invest in a superzoom camera!

I'm considering a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18. Newly released I suppose. I've read some reviews and it seems to be one of the best super zooms out there! 18X zoom, quite fast, great picture quality.
But there are a couple of other manufacturer with compeditors, like Sony DSC-H9, Canon Powershot S5 IS. I've also read that the cheaper Fujifilm Finepix 6500fd is a excellent camera for its price.

As I see it there is not a very big difference between FZ18 anf DSC-H9 nag the Canon when looking at the quality at higher ISO, right me if I'm wrong. all superzooms have this problem because of 1/2,5" sensorn?

What do you think is the best buy overall?
The most important factors are picture quality, especially at higher ISO, fast shooting and >10X zoom of course. :wink:

Thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Superzooms offer an unbeatable lens range for the price and small size, but like all non-DSLRs, they can be slow to respond and also suffer from high noise levels at higher sensitivities.

A superzoom may still be your best chocie oevrall, but do check out this article first...

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR ... DSLR.shtml

PS - Kenya's great - you'll love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:27 pm 
I've acctually read the article about DSLR camera vs compact. Great Guide there! The problem is that my budget is limited. I'm not a everyday photographer either, and I can only affort the priceing of a supperzoom camera(Canon S5 IS , Sony DSC-H9)

Because of the fact that Panasonics new DMC-FZ18 is released, I'm wondering if that isn't the best Superzoom camera today? Waiting eager for a review on that one here on Camera Labs!

Maybee is it "a draw" between these 3 compeditors and not much that differs? (Sony H9,Canon S5,Panasonic FZ18)