Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:14 pm 
Hi

I am currently a user of Nikon D40 and would like to upgrade it to a Nikon D80 or Canon EOS 40D. But I cant decide!

Really appreciate some advice.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:29 pm 

I take it you have read Gordon's 40D Review and, in particular, his verdict on the difference between the D80 and the 40D.

Gordon notes that it's "crucial to pick up each camera in person". I guess you also have to consider whether you want to buy new lenses and accessories.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:07 pm 

Hello K_g, and welcome to the Camera Labs forum!
When switching to a body from a different manufacturer, all your investment in lenses will be lost, so I assume that you do not have a worthy collection of lenses for Nikon-mount!?
Before you decide to switch though think about three things:
- the IQ of the D80 and the 40D are mostly equal
- the automatic exposure and AF seems to be equal
- Only Nikon offers the best stabilized super-zoom lens: the Nikkor VR 18-200mm. Canon has nothing that is comparable to this fantastic lens!

Last edited by Thomas on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi K_g, as Bob says, check out the verdict page of the EOS 40D review where it compares the features between the 40D and D80. Both do have similar picture quality, but the 40D is quicker, tougher and has more features like Live View - but it is also 50% more expensive, so it is in a different league really...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:06 pm 
It really depends on your budget, if you have an existing collection of lenses, and what feels better to you. So go to a shop and see if you can ge the feel of both.When you do, decide which feels better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:26 am 
Thanks for all the advices!

I do own a Nikon D40 but did not invest in any lenses. Hence, switching is much easier for me.

From where I come from, the prices between Nikon D80, D200 and Canon 40D are compariable. Will head down the store to check them out physically.

Just one more question, anti-shake function. Only Canon has built in anti-shake functionality but not Nikon right?

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Hi, Canon and Nikon both offer anti-shake in some of their lenses.

For Canon, look for IS, for Nikon, look for VR.

Sony, Pentax and Olympus have some bodies where the anti-shake is built-in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:27 am 
Thanks Gordon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:08 am 
well out of those 3 my personal choice would be the D200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:30 am 
Nathan wrote:
well out of those 3 my personal choice would be the D200.

Hi,

Perhaps you know it already, but there is information that the Nikon D 200
(as well as the Nikon D2X) will be discontinued!

For more news please see the "D100/D200/D300 forum" at

www.nikonians.org

Regards,
John_0812 :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:02 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
When switching to a body from a different manufacturer, all your investment in lenses will be lost, so I assume that you do not have a worthy collection of lenses for Nikon-mount!?
Before you decide to switch though think about two things:
- Only Nikon offers the best stabilized super-zoom lens: the NIkkor VR 18-200mm. Canon has nothing atha is comparable to this fantastic lens!

I'm surprised in you. This is a very one-sided, extremely biased response to someone who has come onto the boards seeking advice. I know you love Nikon (as do I) but this sort of advice isn't very helpful for someone who might not know what they're looking for.

K_g, as others have said, read Gordon's reviews on your short-listed models and when all is said and done, go into a shop and hold them all. Good luck in your hunt! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:20 pm 
TelexStar wrote:
tombomba2 wrote:
Before you decide to switch though think about two things:
- Only Nikon offers the best stabilized super-zoom lens: the NIkkor VR 18-200mm. Canon has nothing atha is comparable to this fantastic lens!

I'm surprised in you. This is a very one-sided, extremely biased response to someone who has come onto the boards seeking advice. I know you love Nikon (as do I) but this sort of advice isn't very helpful for someone who might not know what they're looking for.

LOL

well, I guess it's OK to be a bit biased in the forum? :D

On topic: I would choose Canon 40D hands down also compared to D200. Bigger screen, Live View and other newer features and Canon has the biggest lens system. Since you asked, money can't be an object :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:31 pm 

Gordon wrote:
Compared to Nikon D80... In its favour the 40D is tougher, quicker, fires-off frames more than twice as fast, while also featuring Live View, a bigger screen, PC Sync port, anti-dust features and optional accessories including a wireless transmitter

Well TelexStar, I didn't hear Gordon say in his verdict that the IQ of the 40D is superior to the D80's IQ. But let's hear it from himself.
Otherwise my position is to look into IQ and lenses first, before you get carried away over features.
And I still think this is sound advice!

Btw, K_g: If you really want to have more "fun" with your camera, why not invest in a new lens (you know which one I'm thinking of :wink:) instead of a new body? You think that 6MPix is not any longer "good" enough? Or what is it that makes you dislike your D40?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

If you have a look at the real-life nosie results page for the EOS 40D, you'll see some comparisons with the D80, here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... oise.shtml

As I said in the article, the D80 was fitted with a cheaper lens, but judging from nosie levels, I'd say they were similar but the Canon held it together better at higher sensitivities. Have a look at the resolution page though and you'll see the D80 - even with a cheaper lens - can resolve more horizontal detail in a studio test.

So swings and roundabouts. That said, I wouldn't choose one over the other on IQ - in real life, they're very similar. So with IQ essentially out of the picture, you have to weigh up if the 40D's extra features are worth the extra price. (obviously lens selection is also a consideration, but I'm just talking bodies here)

And that's a similar argument for what will happen between the 40D and the D300. Are the extra features worth paying 50% more?

Rune's also made an interesting point aboiut the D200 which costs virtually the same as the 40D now. Which would you buy? I think the 40D is much better-featured and would be my choice between the two.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:23 pm 
I also have a D40, and would upgrade to a D80 - if I could afford it.

If you already are familiar with the way Nikon works, why not stick with that brand?