Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:06 pm 
Hi all,

Im looking for ideals, suggestions for a lightweight tripod, with a ball head for the G10.

I have a good Carbon 4.5 pounds tripod a Feisol
3401 with a RRS 40 ballhead, but seems to be overkill for the G10.

Also one of the points to me for having a camera such as the G10 is to not be bogged down with weight and to be able to move fast when im hiking with a group. The Feisol is great when im on my own in no hurry, but with a group it's to heavy and slow to open up and take back down again.

Besides wantinig to have the camera steader than I can do handheld, I tend to tilt the camera no matter how hard I try, so a tripod and bubble helps keep my horizons level.

I have recently been to Yosimite and saw a walking staff that converts to a Tripod, very cool, might just be the ticket, has anyone used them? Or have other Tripods you find does the job with a small camera like the G10. I do perfer having the tripod at or close to eye level.

Dave

Post subject: Stick with Feisol
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:50 am 
What about the feisol travel model? Or the similar feisol 3402. I Just received that tripod and the versatile range of height is amazing.

I think in the smaller ballheads, Novoflex has some really nice options although they don't come with quick release plates.

If you are looking for a cheaper option with quick release plates - the induro sa-0 is a perfectly good ball head. It is able to pan, but the main control knob controls the ball and the panning, so it doesn't really have panning control. I use this head on my manfrotto monopod.

I also checked out the cullmann heads (handled and played with) specifically the magnesit 25. The quality was great and the cost is fairly low. What about the magnesit 15 or the 10 or something...

Your 3401, without the center column is near eye level, especially with a small, lightweight ballhead...

I just finished like a month of comparative tripod/ball head research so feel free to pick my brain. Not sure I have any amazing insights but I have been thinking about it a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:58 pm 
Hi Dave,

Thank you for the ideals.

I may look again at the smaller Feisol,
but even the smaller one may be overkill.

My whole ideal is when I group hiking with the G10, I want to feel like im not lugging any equipment and the tripod, would be light and fast to set up and break down.

The sturdyness as funny as it sounds is not as important, as I feel it is with my 40D.

To me a tripod is not all about a steady platform but also the reasons I listed on my first post.

Which is why that darn Trek staff is catching my interest, even more so as when I backpack or do a tough hike I use a wood walking stick, one I found along a trail a few years back.

Dave

Post subject: Thoughts on the trek pod
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:20 am 
I haven't tried it, but I checked out their site... It looks like a pretty unique product. I wonder how much steadier it would actually be than a good monopod. Their images still have a person holding the pod sort of midway up... I don't think its meant to stand on its on really.

Aren't there some trekking poles that have a screw on the top so they can serve as a monopod...

But you aren't looking for a monopod.

I know you mentioned you wanted eye level... but what about a smaller 2 section, about 2 foot tall tripod? Benro makes one that a lot of people like and it would certainly be a simple way to steady for landscapes and macro stuff.

I guess the tough thing about the trek pod is it is hard to tell whether you'd like it or not without trying it. Buy it from somewhere with a good return policy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:29 pm 
Hi Dave,

Turns out there is a camera shop that does carry the Trek, so today I'll swing by and take a close look at one of them. Might buy one and if I can return, live with it in my house for a few days and see if i think it will meet my needs.

Somtimes with all the heavy, solid equipment, it in reality gets in the way of taking good pictures and just ENJOYING are hobbie.

Im hoping the G10, with the proper equipment will let me get more back to the fun, I had when I first started with a Pentax ME and a 50mm 1.7 lens. I did not even at that time have or even know what a Pol filter was.

Still I had lots of fun/plessure and even took some good shots!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:26 pm 
Hi all,

Had a chance to take a close look at a couple of the Trek-Tech Walking Staffs/Tripod yesterday.

I belive I will purchased one.

Are they without problems, certainly not.

As a wallking staff, it is heaver and does not have the feel of my tree branch I found along the trail 4 years ago.

It wobbles for a few seconds after touching the camera.

Having said the above and with my experanice on my last two group trips backpacking and a hard day trip lugging my 40D and lens and my solid Carbon tripod, I found..

A) I really did not have the time OR the Energy to set up and use my equipment the way I would want to.
Try lugging a 4.5 pound tripod at high elevation and ONLY having the time and energy to use just ONCE, is NOT enjoyable!

B) All my equipment is darn heavy, I don't enjoy lugging extra weight without the pluses of being able to use my wonderful equipment.

C) When Im out on my own or with a deicated photo group, I'll happly lug my heavy equipment, but otherwise...

A) The G10 in Raw with a filter adaptor on it, will give me the fast access and use when im with a group moving fast.

B)Knowing with that little camera at Iso 80 it will come close to my 40D and in some ways, even surpass it, is important as I won't be thinking Dam IF ONLY I had MY GOOD camera with me.

C) The Trek-Tech with such a small and lightweight Camera as the G10 if im carfull and with IS should give me me better shots at slow shutter speeds than I could ever get hand held and for exposure brackting a Tripod is a must if using fore HDR images.

D) The time to set up the Trek-pod with camera and break down,will take considerly less time than setting up my full system.

E) Best of all I WILL have the energy and time to take the shots when I see them and my hiking buddys won't be giving me the evil look, wondering why it takes Dave 10 minutes to take one picture!

Dave