Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:57 am 
I don't know much about tripods.

What is there to know?
I have an Olympus E-500 DSLR camera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:30 pm 
I bought a tripod recently and so I have a few pointers. These are the things I looked for in a tripod, in order of importance.

1) Is it the right height? No point buying a Manfrotto if it's the wrong height and doesn't do what you need it to do.

2) Does it support your camera's weight? A DSLR with a zoom lens is a very heavy piece of equipment.

3) Does it have the right compromise between being sturdy and lightweight? You are going to be lugging that tripod around, so you need something that's light. Equally, you don't want it to be so light that it doesn't adequately support your camera.

4) Does it break the bank/ruin marital harmony/etc? My wife would have killed me if I got a Manfrotto :P

5) Other random niceness to have: carrying handle, level indicator, detachable head are nice things to have but you might be able to live without them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:06 am 
Howdy - I'm using an e520, pretty similar I think in shape and weight to the e500 and I just bought a set of Feisol tripod legs - the 3402n (on sale right now) the matching center column, and a Kirk Bh-3 head.

Its a pricey combo, but I don't anticpate replacing it (provided it doesn't bust) and it is compact and versatile.

I recommend getting a tripod head that takes Arca-Swiss style plates, they're pricey but they are the standard.

I don't like manfrotto pods, they use a lot of plastic and I'm not impressed with them.

For alumnium tripod legs, I like benro, they are cheaper and from playing with them for an hour in the shop, and reading reviews, they seem durable and long lasting.

For carbon fiber, I really like Feisol... Its too bad no stores in the US carry them, but they have a good return policy if you don't like, and I don't envision that happening! Its a great set of legs.

The big four companies in ball heads are Really Right Stuff, Arca-Swiss, Kirk, and Markins. Acra-tech makes some really intersting non-traditional designs, and I think that the Cullmann Magnesit ball heads represent a great value.

Good luck - I just finished this tripod purchasing process so feel free to pick my brain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:59 pm 
I have a velbon sherpa 200R and i am very pleased with it, it is well made, has an excellent quick release system, and is very sturdy!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:07 pm 
Which tripod did you buy pgtips? :)