Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tripod search
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:59 am 
Hi guys 'n' gals,

I am on the market for a tripod. I cannot decided on a model and need advice on this one. So here is what I am looking for in a tripod:

1\ I do not want a copy - I want the real thing

2\ I want it to be high enough so that I wouldn't have to bend all the time - I am 173cm tall so may be I am looking for height of 160cm with head (i have heard that what I should be looking at is the height without the central column extended)

3\ weight is also an important issue - as low as possible for my money but definitely below 2 kg

4\ it should support about 4kg

5\ ball head with QR

Did I miss anything essential? I have been looking for tripod for like a month now but for some reason I cannot find the one that suits my needs.
The problem is that my budget is tight - 150-160EUR top

So any kind of suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:33 am 
I think your interests are conflicting with your budget there. Not many tripods can reach 160cm with the centre column down. One that I can name off the top of my head is the Manfrotto 055 but that weighs more than the 2kg you specified. Going for the lighter carbon fibre models will take you over your budget not to mention the extra price of a tripod head.

Most tripods, even the smaller ones like the Manfrotto 190 (which fits the budget and weight requirement), will hold more than 4 kg but they don't reach as high with the centre column down so I think you may have to compromise a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:17 pm 
Yeah I guess I should compromise after all. Since everybody choses the best for them I suppose I can find some wisdom in your tripod choices.
So what are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:24 am 
Haha, the one I've got at the moment isn't worth mentioning but I am planning to get an 055. 8)

Post subject: Buy a feisol
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:57 am 
Buy a feisol. A great tripod - and it is not a gitzo knock off. It is a unique design.

I just bought/recieved the Feisol 3402n w/ center column and I'm extremely happy with it. Its solid, feels quality, and its range of height is really versatile. And its pretty cheap, I guess around 100 Euros? (I live in the US and I'm not sure what the exchange rate is).

I stuck a Kirk Bh-3 on it... Considering it comes with an Arca-Swiss compatible plate and the head for about $250 US and it is ridiculously solid I feel it is a great value...

Check out feisol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:45 pm 
Thanks Davemort!
I have already bought Manfrotto 724B and am pretty happy with it :D
Hope we are of some help to others in the same situation!