Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:27 am 

I'd just like to post this major message for all of you out there desparately looking for a sharp ultra-wide zoom and were discouraged from my first copy/report.
The 2nd copy of Sigma 10-20mm MUCH better!
I'll report more details as time permits but here is already a collection with pics from the new lens to quench some of your information-thirst.
The comparison to other wide-zooms is here.
----
Wenn es irgendwelche Fragen, Kommentare und Anregungen zu meinem Review gibt, hier gibt's die Möglichkeit auch für unsere deutschsprachigen Forums-Besucher!

Last edited by Thomas on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:05 pm 

Here are the main facts from the catalog:
Size: 84x81mm = medium :)
Weight: 470g = medium :)
Optics: 14 elements in 10 groups = ok :?
Closest focus distance/max.magnification: 0.24m / 1:6.7 (I got 1:6.9 in my test) :?
--> Addendum: see what you still can do when the need arises here!
Filter-thread: 77mm = standard :)
No IS = not so important :)
AF-S, so works on D40/x-bodies :) , easy manual-focus override (just turn the focus ring) :)
Covers APS-C (or smaller only = normal :?
Comes with a lens-bag :)
Price: around 460€ = not the cheapest :?
--> Addendum: And the front- and rear lens-cap are still cr*p :(

Last edited by Thomas on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:59 pm 

Now to give you finally some of the testshots I've made, here is my favourite, that shows quite nicely what you can do with such an extreme lens, when you get close (enough) to your subject(s):
Taken at 12mm/f8.
So hear my warning (again): Even with a 12mm lens at f8 you do have a limited dof! Not everything will be automatically sharp from front to infinity. But hey, that's ok!

So, can you make great shots with this lens? Certainly!

More test-shots to be published shortly. I promise!

Last edited by Thomas on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:57 pm 
Nice pic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:52 am 
I am glad to see you finally obtained a good example of that lens Thomas, as you have shown, it is quite a versatile lens, from portraits to panoramas. I have a small number taken with mine on http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagesatmarlo/1415855930/ as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:08 am 

AndrewC, do you have a tag or other indicator to identify your Sigma 10-20mm shots easily? That would help, as not all of your photos have "additional properties" at flickr.

Last edited by Thomas on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:22 am 
tombomba2 wrote:
AndrewC, do you have a tag or other indicator to identify your Sigma 10-20mm shots easily? That would help, as not all of your photos have "additional properties" at flickr.

The Sigma shots are now tagged Thomas, I am still trying to figure out how flikr works :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:35 am 
Site Admin

Hi Thomas, nice pic, and glad you finally succumbed to the wonderful world of avatars!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:21 pm 

Now finally some serious test-shots to prove the qualities of this lens to you. Here we go, don't expect less than some Siemens-stars from me :wink:
To make this procedure less painful for you I decided to hide the complete pics as links under the 100% crops. So if you don't believe me/your eyes just click through to the original. Apart from my feet there is also the other Siemens-star in the lower left corner for you to check that the perpendicular adjustment on my test shots was ok.
Following are the 100% crops first centre, then the upper right corner. All shots at maximum aperture (=wide-open) first row at 10mm:
Image Image

...followed by 15mm (there are some tests saying the range in between is worse than at both ends of the focal-length)
Image Image

...and finally 20mm. Enjoy!
Image Image

When measuring the diameter of the grey disks at the centre of the Siemens-star, I normally go for 200% magnification and divide the result by two, just to make it easier for my eyes to judge! So what do we get here:
10mm centre 6 mm, corner 7-9 mm
15mm centre 7 mm, corner 8-9 mm
20mm centre 7 mm, corner 8-9 mm
At the corners there is a slight astigmatism, meaning that the sharpness depents on the direction of lines.
The obvious loss of contrast in the corners at 10mm gets a little better by stopping down to f8 or so, but not really up to the centre-contrast.
As you can see, the results are pretty impressive across the focal range. MUCH better than the results from my first copy. And this clearly shows in the pics you take with lens.

Expect some white-dwarf results soon...

And let me show you some (slightly tweaked, but no HDR) shot of what I love very much: Sky, clouds and sun!
Dark Doom

Last edited by Thomas on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:10 pm 

Now onto the white dwarf (surrounded by dark holes) :wink:

First of all a warning: you can get that ugly brownish stripes that the Sigma 12-24mm exhibited, look closely at the bush to the left:
But it seems somewhat subdued compared to the effect on the Sigma 12-24mm here.

This is, why a more "scientific" approach is needed to tell the weaknesses of the Sigma 12-24mm and the 10-20mm apart. If you already know my test-technology you may proceed, otherwise, a quick read over here could cast some light (sic!) on how I "do the white dwarf" :wink:
What I show is some shot approaching worst-case and some typical shot. If you want to analyse the situation for different settings of focal-length and/or aperture any further, feel free to do so. The respective photos are over here, or filter my pictures for "whitedwarf" to have a look at the whole caboodle.

The first is at 10mm f8, the second at 20mm f5.6
Image Image

As you can see, the problem can be reproduced in the "lab" but is by far not as troublesome as with the Sigma 12-24mm. But it is uglier than with the Tokina 12-24mm or the Tamron 11-18mm which is the best in this respect.

And one final challenge for all those pixel-peepers out there, here is the ultimate test-shot to judge corner sharpness, geometry and color-fringing all in one simple picture!

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:39 pm 

Ah well, I forgot that I promised you to also test close-up performance, which is seldom done in reviews...
So if you want to have a look for yourself, just surf over here or there for two illuminating Siemens-stars shot from the same distance at 10mm and 20mm (giving approx 1:20 resp. 1:10 magnification) wide open.
Taking out my trusty old ruler I measure the following:
at 10mm: 7-8mm centre
at 20mm: 9-10mm centre and 10-12mm at the borders
So you can clearly see that close-up performance is worse than at greater distances esp. at the long end and that there is some pronounced deterioration at the borders at 20mm. Interestingly there is some "veiling" effect on the smaller Siemens-stars in the corners. There seems to be a clear loss in contrast at around 20mm diameter (like a veil) but the lines are still visible up to the diameters I gave you above.
So don't expect miracles of this lens in close-up situations at the borders. The centre at the wide end is still very good though.

Last edited by Thomas on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: bad lense?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:51 pm 
Great report. Was this just a bad lense in the first Sigma 10-22, or is there a different revision that I should look for?
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:39 pm 

Jason, I'm not sure. From the outside, you could not distinguish the first and the second copy. But even at the time of testing the first copy there were reports that some people got good copies and others complained. So I just put it down to sloppy quality control at Sigma. The bad thing is, you'll never know: maybe QC is still sloppy and I just turned out to be lucky, or Sigma tightened it's QC-system and more lenses are now ok! If the latter is the case you may want to look at copies with serial-nos. above 2393700.
My advice: It's best to buy from a dealer where you can give the lens back within the first few days in case you happen to get a bad copy.

Last edited by Thomas on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:26 am 
Will this AF on the Nikon D40? If not I might wait to buy it until after I get a new body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:23 am 
Nathan,
Sigma lenses with "HSM" have the AF motors built into the lenses and will work fine with the D40 and D40x.

Jason