Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:55 pm 
I’m new to the digital slr market and up to now my little camera and my film camera worked good. I have decided it’s time for an upgrade and through this forum came up with a new Pentax 200. One thing I didn’t think of is used manual focus lenses, how do I focus them? Can I buy a manual split screen for my old lenses and if so do I have to switch screens every time I change over to auto lenses? This auto stuff I’m not up to date with, (so I’m older J).
Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:16 pm 
I believe you buy an adapter for your camera that converts from the current Pentax mount to whatever older mount you're trying to use. You put the camera into Manual mode and then you focus, well, manually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:33 am 
In my old camera there was a split screen that you lined up to focus. I didn’t see this on new cameras of any make. Do you just guess with dslr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:37 am 

I don't know about specific models, but all the DSLRs I have handled just have a regular viewfinder. This relies on your eye to judge focus of the scene when the lens is wide open.

I believe that alternative focus screens are available, either by the camera manufacturer or 3rd party, but it depends on the camera what there is and how easy they are to fit.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:31 am 

I have a manual focus SMC 50mm f/2 from Pentax and it works great. You typically don't have to buy an adapter (depending on mount). You can only set shutter speed in manual mode and all the other modes can't be adjusted.

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:10 am 
He's not asking about whether he can use old manual lenses. He's talking about the split screen in the view finder in old SLRs that helped you (immensely!) when you had to manual focus.

With the split screen, any object in the screen will be split in two and will be out of alignment unless they are in focus. This allowed you to consistently and quickly achieve really sharp focus manually. With current DSLRs, without a split screen, manual focusing is really difficult by comparison.

With an old manual Yashica, I remember being able to focus as fast as my current DSLR in good light while being a lot faster in low light where my current DSLR might go focus hunting.

edit: And Djayvo, have a look at http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Penta ... entax.html for customized focus screens. While they're quite cheap (and available for Pentax but not Sony :(), I imagine they're going to be a pain to install.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:41 am 
Thanks. I suppose I was not clear on what I was saying but my camera terminology is very rusty. I have been out of photography for nearly 30 years and I am finding it quite different now that so much technology is involved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:18 am 
You definitely do not need split screen to manual focus. The focus point will blink when you half depress the shutter button and your subject is in focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:49 am 
Wow, is that a feature on Pentax DSLRs?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:45 pm 
You definitely do not need split screen to manual focus. The focus point will blink when you half depress the shutter button and your subject is in focus.

I'll try this when I get my mounts for my old screw mount lenses. If your right I totaly will be impressed with Pentax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:32 pm 

byte wrote:

And you get also a beep :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:53 pm 
This feature sounds totally amazing! I wish other cameras would include it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:09 pm 

With my K10D I only have autofocus lenses but if you switch to manual focus then focus is as mentioned above confirmed by the focus point being lit up and a beep.

I have found this particularly useful whilst using my 50mm macro lens :D

I have looked at buying a manual focus lens but so far nothing has jumped up and grabbed my attention, at the right price :?

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:39 am 
Just came across the focusing section in the manual. It all sounds good. I’m glad I bought a Pentax k200d. Just mentioned in another forum why I bought a Pentax and the help this forum was in making my decision. Also I thank the people of this forum in being patient with the new people just getting back into the hobby some forums are not as friendly.