Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:54 am 
I am a beginner that just got my first DSLR a few months ago. I would like to get a basic, inexpensive, lightweight tripod that would go well with the D60. I don't know the first thing about tripods - I assume at my beginner stage I just need something sturdy and easy to manuever - I like night photography and am realizing I really need to get a tripod already as my pictures come out blurry most of the time. Something that would easy to travel with would be great. Any recommendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:01 am 
i would go with something basic. something portable as well, 100$ goes a long way when it comes to tripod selection.

you might want to pick up a remote shutter control as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:21 am 
Check out the Gorilapod. But be sure to get the SLR Zoom version, as the others will just fall down with DSLR and a lens on.

And instead of remote release, you can just set it on Timer of 2 secs (:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:13 pm 
0eyvind wrote:
Check out the Gorilapod. But be sure to get the SLR Zoom version, as the others will just fall down with DSLR and a lens on.

And instead of remote release, you can just set it on Timer of 2 secs (:

Do you think that gorilapod would hold up with the legs wrapped around an ATV:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:32 pm 
Les Grossman wrote:
Do you think that gorilapod would hold up with the legs wrapped around an ATV:?:

If you wrap it tight, I'm sure that it will.

Post subject: Check out Feisol
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:52 am 
You should really check out Feisol tripods. Although they are asian, they are not Gitzo knock-offs. I have the 3402 and I'm really happy with it. Paired with its center column, it can go from like 6 inches off the ground (center column removed) up to way over my head (above 6 feet). I've got it paired with the Kirk Bh-3 and it is a really nice combo.

Seriously, check out feisol. Its a great Gitzo alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:21 am 
Hi Bostongirl,

If you check out the Velbon line of tripods, you can find a very wide range of inexpensive, lightweight tripods. I've successfully used the CX40 for my D40.

Center column, 3-segment legs, pretty big "feet" on the legs and it's around 40$ or so. I'm not familiar with Boston - if that's your area - but I suspect you can find them in the larger stores like Circuit City and similar chains.

Good luck with your choice :-)

Cheers!

Post subject: sherpa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:48 pm 
I can vouch for what LahLaSr (hi!) said, I just got a velbon sherpa 200 tripod and I use the d40 with the 18-200 lens on it. It really is all I need with this combo especially for those night shots or whatever.
But if money is an issue you can always use the good old beanbag technique. Or find something flat to rest the d60 on then use the self timer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:00 am 
hey also have a Nikon d60 but with the 18-105mmm lense. I use a Gorillapod SLR zoom and it holds well on anything even with the heavier lense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:18 am 

LahLahSr wrote:
Hi Bostongirl,

If you check out the Velbon line of tripods, you can find a very wide range of inexpensive, lightweight tripods. I've successfully used the CX40 for my D40.

Center column, 3-segment legs, pretty big "feet" on the legs and it's around 40$ or so. I'm not familiar with Boston - if that's your area - but I suspect you can find them in the larger stores like Circuit City and similar chains.

Good luck with your choice :-)

Cheers!

Another +1 on the Velbon's. I have a D-500 with a fluid panhead (it's a video tripod) and I love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:35 pm 

Aren't you on a NDA, when you have a D500? :-P (sorry for being off topic)

edit, or is that the name of the tripod? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:04 pm 

WoutK89 wrote:
Aren't you on a NDA, when you have a D500? :-P (sorry for being off topic)

edit, or is that the name of the tripod? :oops:

That's the tripod type ;)