Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:33 pm 
Motherboard= Micro Atx Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H $ 50.00
CPU= AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 $ 120.00
Hard Drives=2 Western Digital 500 gig drives $ 70.00 each
Memory=4 gigs OCZ PC 6400 ram $ 65.00
Case+Psu=Aspire X-QPACK2-NW-BK/500 X-Qpack2 Micro ATX Case with 500-Watt power supply $115.00
OS=Windows vista Home Premium $ 130.00
Grande Total= $ 620.00 CAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm 
No video card and no monitor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:08 pm 
pgtips wrote:
No video card and no monitor?

The motherboard has an integrated graphics card, one of the better ones as wel, see:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mot ... uctID=2579

Seems to be a rather good PC for the price :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:44 pm 

I would have gotten a cheap video card since photoshop CS4 now takes advantage of them. Other than that it's a good price I think.

Integrated video is always going to be a lot worse than a cheap video card because it shares your RAM. When you get a dedicated video card it has it's own fast video ram and processor. Takes a load off the rest of the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:41 pm 
Shagrath wrote:
I would have gotten a cheap video card since photoshop CS4 now takes advantage of them.

Having read some reviews of CS4, it appears that using the lower end cards is not such a good idea as using a cheap card can actually be slower than the CPU. The program come into its own when you use a decent video card with it.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:33 pm 

Markh wrote:
Shagrath wrote:
I would have gotten a cheap video card since photoshop CS4 now takes advantage of them.

Having read some reviews of CS4, it appears that using the lower end cards is not such a good idea as using a cheap card can actually be slower than the CPU. The program come into its own when you use a decent video card with it.

Mark

I guess that could be true. Are you saying that the GPU features are turned off if no video card is present? If that's true it would be best to just use integrated. I've got an 8800GTS so I'm really loving CS4, but I haven't tried it on my laptop which only has integrated graphics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:28 pm 
I mean that using a low end GPU will be slower than using the CPU without a using a dedicated GPU. To get the speed benefits it appears that you need to have a decent GPU.

See this review: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/ado ... view.ars/4

In particular: "Another limitation: GPU acceleration affects drawing speed. You will find that drawing is slower than in CS3 if you have a weak GPU, and the computer is under a heavy load. I discovered this while doing 3D renders in the background on a Mac Pro with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT. Brush drawing was slow, and when I restarted with GPU acceleration disabled, it was faster than with it on. I did some testing on my MacBook Pro, and the difference wasn't as noticeable, so it looks like the crappy Mac Pro GPU was to blame. The lesson: get as beefy a 3D card as you can afford, because it will pay off in the long run. "

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:56 am 
Alternately - instead of sweating over a possible GPU bottleneck - you can just use an earlier version of Photoshop.

I still use CS2 I don't see anything CS3 or CS4 has to offer that would compel me to change....

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:34 am 
I wonder why Adobe did it such that the computers with poor graphics cards or none at all suffer a drop in performance. The way I see it, CS4 being an update should improve on performance graphics card or not.

Even without PS, having integrated graphics will leech off the CPU power especially with things like Aero glass running in the background.