Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Backpack Recommendation
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:55 pm 
Hi guys
I am finding that, i am needing a backpack, to carry all my gear, as i do alot of mountain biking (can't drive yet :evil: ) and also walking/hiking.
This will probably be my kit in a couple of years, so i want it to have room for some future purposes.

Canon 40D
100mm EF Macro
17-85
70-200 f/4
Speedlite 430EX
50mm f/1.8
My Velbon Tripod.

I suppose i might be nice to have space for my 15.4" laptop, but it is not really a big problem if it doesn't.
As i use it for mountain biking and cycling, i would like it to be fairly airy around my back.
I had a look at the Lowepro Micro Trekker 200, which seems reasonble, and the rough size of what i might have need to keep in it, in the future. It might also be an advantage, to have a small personal storage space, for maybe a bottle of water and a sandwhich.

Please if you have any other recommendations, or good experiences, with a bag of this description, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Oh and by the way, i probably don't really want to spend more than £70.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe the Crumpler Sinking Barge or a similar model in their range?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:20 pm 
Crumplers don't really float my boat! Also they are generally more expensive, than the lowepro ones.
Thanks anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:28 pm 

Take a look at Naneu Pro Military Ops Echo. If you can spare a few extra dollars, the Bravo. Also their Adventure K3 which is on close out sale for $99.99 and K3L for a little more cash.

B and H has a used Lowepro Stealth AW II backpack for sale: $99.99

From my research, to get something worth keeping... expect to pay over $100. Do note that I've only been into photography for 4 months now and anyone could shoot that thought down. But it does ring true with my experience, limited as it may be.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:05 pm 
The Naneu pro ones look very nice, but i can't seem to find them for sale in the UK!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:17 pm 

http://www.naneupro.com/dealers.mdv?a=locator#

try is? I don't know where in the UK you are, but they have a few... of course... the UK is pretty freak'n huge.

-D

UPDATE: I think this shop in France is the most near to you... about a 7 hour drive... perhaps you can have them ship?

Societe Kotow
106 Boulevard Héloïse, Bâtiment 3
95100, Argenteuil
France

Phone: + 33 1 34 34 46 46
Fax: + 33 1 34 34 46 47

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:12 pm 
I like the design of the Lowepro Primus AW, although it is a bit small. I have looked at the Compu Primus AW which looks really good, although i can't seem to find it for sale here in the UK, so something similar to that would be good!

Here is a link to the Compu Primus, product page:
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Com ... 110,19.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:27 pm 

$350 for that thing?! It better transform into a jetPack and have face detection...

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:14 pm 
$350, bl**dy hell, i best look for a different bag. Seems a bit odd to me, as the primus aw is £55 on amazon.co.uk! Maybe i will have to manage with something else, but i really like the Primus Aw, if only it were big enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:37 pm 
I think i have decided on the Primus AW, its bigger, than i thought. My camera and next purchase, a 70-200 f/4 is going to be about 10 inches in lenght, and the internal dimensions say about 32" wide, so realistically, its going to be about 25", that giving me 15" more, with some dividers from my other bag. That should be enough space for my 50mm, and maybe a flash in the future.
Thanks for all you guys help anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:21 pm 

Hey, check out this one; Tamrac Adventure 9. B and H has it for 140... but it does seem to do the job.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:02 pm 

hey podgeorge. did you buy it? I was deciding btw the kata DR-467 and Primus AW. I took the plunge and went with the Primus AW. It's such an appealing bag with good security for travelling in countries with pickpocketers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:12 pm 
Hi, No, i went with the fastpack 350 instead, simply because i didn't thnk i was going to have enough room in the Primus AW, also because the price went up! Although i am very happy with the Fastpack 350 i got instead. It's a nice size and has got buckets of space, another good feature is that there is a space for my laptop, which i will use when i go on holiday! The Fastpack is actually very secure, as i do alot of mountain biking it needs to be, although you have to make sure all the straps are correctly tightened!
Hows the Primus AW for you?
Ta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:41 pm 

The Primus AW is in the mail unfortunately. Taking the laptop wasn't a big thing. I wanted a bag that would fit on FAA carryons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:11 am 

i received the bag. overall im very impressed with the build quality. the only major thing wrong with it is that it is very difficult to use the side door to access my camera when i have the grip mounted...

I am probably going to modify the padding and cut it(eeeK) to get it to fit well. I didnt like hte fastpack too much because of its boxy look. I was going to consider the KATA 3n1 but i prefer the look of the primus AW!.