Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:36 am 
Well after much time spent re-viewing the entry level dSLR's on camera labs and talking to Gordon I finally purchased my E-510 in Washington DC for a bargain price compared to IRELAND.

I also looked at the Nikkon D40's and the Cannon 400D in shop before I got the E-510.

The Cannon is just too small in my large hands and the standard kit lens was not up to the standard of the OLYMPUS twin lens kit. And if I wanted the added exspense of buying a good add on lens (IS)I would have got the Nikkon D200 or higher end camera or the like.

I preferred the 10MP Nikkon (D40X) over the Cannon both in build quality and looks. Even the E-510 FEELS better in the hands then the Cannon, and if you are gonna be using the camera alot then this is important, it was also lacking the features and out of the box performance of the OLYMPUS and the twin lens kit for the same money cannot be beaten.

Image quality from what I seen is the same with very little to tell them apart although out of the box the E-510 did tend to under-expose but very easily fixed.

I am absolutely delighted with the step up from my FUJIFILM 6500fd (Which I can tell you now is a very very capable bridging camera and I will continue to use)

The only thing I would have liked on the 510 is that it used a standard format battery (AA for instance) so if you run out you can use readily available batteries (Like my 6500fd).

Also the battery life on the 510 is superb.

The best advice I received from CAMERA LABS is that you really do have to hold the particular camera and rattle of a view snaps before you buy to get a feel for the camera. As one factor might be so big a deal if the other camera FEELS better etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting your comments Wonda Boy! I think you got a great package - the E-510 twin lens kit is a really nice package and if it felt best to you, then you definitely got the right one.

When you have time, could you also let us know what you think of the Live View? Do you use it? Is it useful? And also how you're finding the built-in IS and anti-dust, especially as you'll no-doubt be switching lenses regularly...

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:45 pm 
Yep will do Gordon,

The Twin kit is really good, and covers most of the basics. I am quite used to the LIVE VIEW as my old FUJI 6500fd had it and I did find it quite good for framing subjects.

The oly thing I am really missing is the "LIGHT HISTOGRAM" from my old FUJI as you could see it through the view finder not the live view so it was practically instant. I am not sure if the E 510 has this via the view finder but I will let you know.

Watch this space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:13 am 
PLease allow the additional questions:

1. Does E-510 really compatible with AA battery? I really don't know about this and it would be great if it does so.

2. Could E-510 add a grip?

3. From what i've read in the review,IS is able to work for 2-4 stops. does it really help in general work upto 4 stops. Let's say if i use shutter speed that is much slower than 1/15 something like that. It would be really great if it goes that far, 4 stops.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 pm 
Unfortunately you cannot use AA batteries with the E-510. And it takes 4 HOURS to charge the battery. I have ordered another battery from UK for very little. On a flipside the battery does last a long time even with liveview but longer without.

You can get a extra grip from Olympus (Link at bottom) along with all the other extras you need.

As for the IS, it comes in two types IS 1 will stop all movement, i.e vertical and horizontal shake. IS 2 will allow horizontal shake for if you want to pan the camera like following a race car etc. and allow for blurring with creative shots etc.

I am not sure how many stops it allows but it really does help a great deal.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_ ... _Chart.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:45 am 
Thank you very much for useful information.........