Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:21 pm 

Hi I was wonderinf if I could ask for your input...

I've just decided to start taking photos in RAW as I've been reading about the advantages. I took some shots just to see how my PC would cope and when I upload the photos from my Canon 450D (with the software provided) an error message came up saying I don't have enough memory.

I read somewhere that I could open them in Zoom Browser, save them as a different file (not jpeg) and then open them in PS to edit them.

Now the queestions (!):

1) I have a laptop that I can buy off a friend, very cheap (which has: 2GB of memory, Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor Type T# (1.73 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache) and 160 GB of storage). Would this be a good investment solely for using it for internet use and photo editing? Do you think I'd get the same error message as on my PC?

2) If I purchased my friends laptop (I want a laptop anyway..) could I use the Canon software that I installed on my PC or does it only allow you to install it once?

3) Opening RAW files in Zoom Browser, saving them as a different file type, and then editing them properly in PS; would this take away the point of taking RAW shots in the first place?

Sorry it's a long-winded topic! I'm not very good at keeping things brief!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:28 pm 

liethemoon wrote:
Hi I was wonderinf if I could ask for your input...

I've just decided to start taking photos in RAW as I've been reading about the advantages. I took some shots just to see how my PC would cope and when I upload the photos from my Canon 450D (with the software provided) an error message came up saying I don't have enough memory.

I read somewhere that I could open them in Zoom Browser, save them as a different file (not jpeg) and then open them in PS to edit them.

Now the queestions (!):

1) I have a laptop that I can buy off a friend, very cheap (which has: 2GB of memory, Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor Type T# (1.73 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache) and 160 GB of storage). Would this be a good investment solely for using it for internet use and photo editing? Do you think I'd get the same error message as on my PC? If you are in any doubt why not install the Canon software on that machine and see how well it runs.

2) If I purchased my friends laptop (I want a laptop anyway..) could I use the Canon software that I installed on my PC or does it only allow you to install it once?

3) Opening RAW files in Zoom Browser, saving them as a different file type, and then editing them properly in PS; would this take away the point of taking RAW shots in the first place?

Sorry it's a long-winded topic! I'm not very good at keeping things brief!

My personal take (others may have a different view):

1) The machine is powerful enough. Whether it's a good investment depends on the price as new laptops can be had relatively cheaply these days.

2) I've got the Canon software running on three PCs here. No knocks on the door from FAST so far.

3) I prefer to use DPP rather than ZoomBrowser. It's got some useful features (check out the tutorials here) including batch processing.

Bob.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:35 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply, Bob.

I'll take a look at the tutorials.

I've not got to the stage of doing anything yet (due to the memory error) but can you open RAW files in PS straight away or is that the main purpose of using Zoom Browser or DPP?

And apologies for being a simpleton, but is the process usually: take photo in RAW > Upload to cpu using Canon software > open RAW photos in PS for editing ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:45 pm 

Well, if you have Photoshop CS3 (or the new CS4) you should be able to open the RAW (CR2) files directly provided you have the latest version of Adobe Camera RAW. Note that Adobe believes you owe it the full price of a version upgrade if you have CS2 as it won't provide the necessary converters for anything earlier than the current version when a new camera comes out. :evil:

The only workaround is to use the Adobe DNG Converter standalone software to convert from CR2 to DNG or to use the Canon software to convert to, say, TIFF and then open the DNG or TIFF file in Photoshop.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:03 pm 

Bob Andersson wrote:
Well, if you have Photoshop CS3 (or the new CS4) you should be able to open the RAW (CR2) files directly provided you have the latest version of Adobe Camera RAW. Note that Adobe believes you owe it the full price of a version upgrade if you have CS2 as it won't provide the necessary converters for anything earlier than the current version when a new camera comes out. :evil:

The only workaround is to use the Adobe DNG Converter standalone software to convert from CR2 to DNG or to use the Canon software to convert to, say, TIFF and then open the DNG or TIFF file in Photoshop.

Bob.

Do you lose and quailty or editing options if you convert to TIFF and open the file in PS?

I might consider downloading the Adobe software seeing as I have CS3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:41 pm 

You didn't mention the amount of memory in your current PC or its operating system. It would seem a logical option to increase the memory in that computer. RAM is pretty cheap these days.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:03 pm 

liethemoon wrote:
...Do you lose and quailty or editing options if you convert to TIFF and open the file in PS?

TIFF, like DNG, is lossless so no information is lost. I plan to upgrade from CS2 to CS4 shortly which will allow me to download from my camera using the EOS Utility software, do preliminary sorting and processing, including lens correction, in DPP and then, for the few images I would want to spend extra time on, open the modified RAW (CR2) files directly into Photoshop.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:35 am 

I'm currently using a Pentium4 2.16ghz desktop with 1gb ram, and that's plenty for image editing. It's not as fast as my pc back home, but it doesnt choke.

Nikon D700, Nikon D80, Micro Nikkor 105 f2.8 AI-S,Nikon 85mm 1.8D, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Nikon 35mm F2D, Nikon 16-35 f4 VR, Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 AF-S, Nikon 70-200VRII, Nikon 70-300mm VR, 300mm f2.8 AI IF ED, SB-800, SB-900. Noiseware pro,NIK Dfine, Nik Colour Effex, Nik Sharpener Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:41 pm 

My current PC has 1GB of memory and a 1.8 processor. It's okay, but like I said, I'm looking for a laptop anyway.

Cheers for everyones input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 pm 

hi liethemoon,

1. the PC configuration is solid. You won't have trouble using it for editing RAW images.

2. You said your buying it from a friend. I assume it's used, so you shouldn't pay more then 300 euros!

3. The error message you got on your old PC might have occurred basically of these two reasons:

-your virtual memory is too low
-your hard disk is out of space