Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Noise Ninja
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:01 pm 

Hi folks,

Some of you may have noticed in other posts that I have recently been blown away by some of the work of Frank Doorhof (http://www.frankdoorhof.com/). A lot of his work has been done with the Canon EOS 5D though it appears he is now moving to a Mamiya ZD medium format 22MP set-up.

It turns out that he is a big fan of Noise Ninja. This noise reduction software is either available as a plug-in for Adobe Photoshop CS3, CS2, CS, 7, Elements, and compatible host applications or as a standalone application.

Please note I am not recommending this software but I am asking if anyone has used it with pictures from the more modest hardware most of us use? Have you had good results?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi Bob, I used Noise Ninja a while ago and found it can produce some really good results. You're gonna ask for some examples now, but I can't show you as it was a while back now!

But I do remember it did offer very fine control over getting the right balance between reducing the noise and actually reducing the detail...

Noise can't be much of an issue for me nowadays though as I don't feel the need for it!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:46 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
...Noise can't be much of an issue for me...

Gordon

Thanks for the good words on Noise Ninja. I guess that it is precisely that control of the balance between noise reduction and detail reduction that Frank Doorhof finds so valuable in his work. The price seems right (free trial) so I think I'll give it a go and report back in due course.

As for noise not being an issue for you, I think that must mean you use one of those "aspirational" cameras day to day when you aren't doing reviews. 8)

Bob.

P.S. Actually noise isn't much of an issue for me either unless I put my pixel peepers (a.k.a. spectacles) on. :wink:

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Well I tend to shoot landscapes under good light at 100 ISO, and only use the high sensitivities for astro or action work, and for those I expect some noise anyway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:45 pm 

ah! I wondered if that app was any good, the trial just seemed to make my images blurry, and since it was the trial one, it has the watermark.

I shoot with ISO 200+ most of the time, and still I get little bits of noise, which can be seen pretty easily @ 50%+ Crops.

Any other apps for reducing noise would also be appreciated, and which ones you think are the best!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!