Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What Should I Get?!?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:39 am 
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and I hope I am putting this topic in the correct section. Feel free to move it otherwise.

Alright, well I've been in the market for a new camera for a while now. I don't want to kill my wallet and spend alot of money on a DSLR, but I don't want to save money, and compromise on quality of camera and features.

I am looking into the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9.

What i'm predominantly after, is something very quick. Sports shots mainly. Fast moving objects.
This doesnt mean the camera will be only used for sports photography as i like to get a few scenery shots here and there.

I'm not looking to go professional or anything, i just want to try some more advanced photography.

Main Question: Is the Sony fast enough for sport shots? On most digital cameras i have used, it takes in the area of about 2-3 seconds to focus andtake the shot, and by the time its ready ive already missed all the action which i wanted to capture.
Will the sony suffice?
Is there something faster?
Should i go for a cheap DSLR (Canon 300d, nikon D40 etc)

Thanks for any help. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Karl, the Sony H9 is the quickest non-DSLR I've used, but a DSLR will still beat it for responsiveness, although it will also need a good lens for the quickest AF. A DSLR will also thrash any superzoom when it comes to high ISO performance, which you'll often need for sports photography.

Bottom line? While the Sony H9 is quick, I'd say if you specifically want a camera for sports photography, you need a DSLR.

They don't have to be too expensive though - check out our budget DSLR buyers guide:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

You might also enjoy browsing through this article to help decide between a DSLR and a superzoom:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR ... DSLR.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:29 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Karl, the Sony H9 is the quickest non-DSLR I've used, but a DSLR will still beat it for responsiveness, although it will also need a good lens for the quickest AF. A DSLR will also thrash any superzoom when it comes to high ISO performance, which you'll often need for sports photography.

Bottom line? While the Sony H9 is quick, I'd say if you specifically want a camera for sports photography, you need a DSLR.

They don't have to be too expensive though - check out our budget DSLR buyers guide:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

You might also enjoy browsing through this article to help decide between a DSLR and a superzoom:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR ... DSLR.shtml

Gordon

Thanks for that Gordon!
I've narrowed it down a bit and I want a few people's opinions please.
Pentax K100D + SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Autofocus Lens
OR
Nikon D40 + 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G Lens Kit

Thanks for any help! :D :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:52 pm 
I think I would ask regarding the sports shots, do you plan on being outdoors with plenty of natural light on in doors under artificial light?

It will make the lens selection easier to determine and the lens of course in situations like this can be more than the cost of the camera.

if the answer is outdoors I would say the d40 and then add the 55-200mm VR to your package that way you don't have to be right on the side line plus you get the 18-55 from the kit lens and the 55-200 gives you great coverage.

I think if taking pictures under good light you will probably turn the VR off though as you would probably be taking pictures faster than the system could effectively kick in and help with shake and if your outdoors you should have more than ample light to have the high shutter speeds that are desired to freeze frame the action.

Take everything above with a grain of salt because I am new too.

Edit* then again the A100 kit plus the 70-300? (is that right) give great coverage too but for a bit more money....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:40 am 
Site Admin

I've not tested the K100D, so can't comment on it's quality, but generally the choice you have is between a body with built-in anti-shake or one without - like the D40 - where you have to buy stabilised lenses if you want anti shake facilities.

At first the built-in solutions seem better - and indeed are cheaper since you get anti-shake on any lens you attach - but you WON'T see the effect through the optical viewfinder - and many people prefer to see this.

A lot also boils down to which camera feels better in your hands, so do try them both in person.

Brate's suggestion of the D40 with the 18-55 and the 55-200 VRis certainly a good one - check out our 55-200mm VR review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... -200mm_VR/

Gordon