Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:29 pm 
Hi,

I've been looking again at lenses and have decided to get a zoom lens. I'm going to get a Canon one, of course. To go on my 350D, but which one?

The main contenders are:

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Zoom_Lenses/EF_90300mm_f4556_USM/index.asp
and
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Zoom_Lenses/EF_75300mm_f456III_USM/index.asp

Both cost around the same (£120) and look similar. The Canon site says the optics in the 90-300 are of the same quality as the ones in the 70-300. Does this just mean that the only difference is the focal length?

I've currently got the EF-S 18-55mm Kit lens, so the gap between lenses would ideally be minimal. Therefore meaning the 90-300 may be a bit of a leap.

Looking at the 75-300, the whole thing just looks more solid. The 90-300 looks a bit too much like the kit lens for me, which is plastic, not very well built. The 75's metal mount wring and nice zoom grip makes it look a lot better built.

I've not tried any of these lenses out, as my local shop doesn't have them in stock, but will order.

Anyone had any experiences with either or have any wise words to spare?

Thanks alot,
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:03 pm 

Hi Jack,

This may be a very annoying thing I'm about to do but did you know that Canon has announced the new Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens for an October release and that this lens may be in budget?

Obviously there are no reviews yet but that IS in the model number means Image Stabilisation. The lens doesn't seem to be on any of the English Canon web-sites yet but here is the press release text:

EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
Compact and lightweight, the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS offers the longest zoom range in the EF-S series to date. The 88-400mm equivalent focal length opens up new framing possibilities for owners of EF-S mount cameras shooting wildlife, sports and travel photography. Optical quality is assured through a UD element, which minimises chromatic aberrations that could otherwise cause reduced contrast and colour fringing.

The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS will be available from October 2007, priced at £239.99 / €359.99 RRP inc VAT.

Note that the prices are RRP. This lens is already available for pre-order from Warehouse Express at that price.

Before you scream "Budget" note that one of your choices, the EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM, has a Canon RRP of £240 (same as the new lens) but currently sells at Warehouse Express for £149.

Even though the new EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS may not initially sell for such a big discount I think you will kick yourself if you don't at least wait until this lens is released and you have had a chance to check it out. Image Stabilisation at 200mm plus on a cropped frame camera is very valuable unless you plan to use a tripod.

EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - click on the picture for more information.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:36 pm 
Hi bob,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have had a quick look at the EF-S 55-250mm, but ruled it out. I can't see anywhere that is has a USM focusing motor? Sorry, I forgot to mention in the first post that I wanted a USM. I'm just a little tired of the slow-focusing of the kit lens. The IS wouldn't be used much for me either as I carry a tripod around when ever I have my camera. The range loss wouldn't be there as it would with the 75-300, but its not a range I tend to use, so I won't miss it that much. I'd raher have the extra 50mm at the end, than the extra 20mm at the start.

I've looked at each lens alot, I can certainly see that thee 75-300 is better built. Things like the metal mount ring and the solid-looking zoom grips make me a lot more confident in buying it, rather than the "kit lens" look of the 90-300.

Anyone had any good/bad experiences with the 75-300? I think i've nearly made my mind up.

Post subject: Non USM
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:18 pm 

Hi Jack,

You are right. The EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS has a "Micro Motor" AF actuator as the EOS Magazine page I have just found confirms.

As for the EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM, I have no experience with this lens. You may have already found these links but there is a review of it here and user feedback here and here.

Bob.

Post subject: Re: Non USM
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:47 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi Jack,

You are right. The EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS has a "Micro Motor" AF actuator as the EOS Magazine page I have just found confirms.

As for the EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM, I have no experience with this lens. You may have already found these links but there is a review of it here and user feedback here and here.

Bob.

Hi,

Had already read the first link, the second one has a lot of people's opinions on it. Leading me to belive the lens isn't very good.

However, i've seen alot of shots taken with this lens on site like DeviantART and I must say, I'm impressed from what i've seen with the canon 350D and even the 300D.

Post subject: Re: Non USM
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:25 am 

JackMcIntyre wrote:
Had already read the first link, the second one has a lot of people's opinions on it. Leading me to believe the lens isn't very good.

However, I've seen a lot of shots taken with this lens on site like DeviantART and I must say, I'm impressed from what I've seen with the canon 350D and even the 300D.

Sorry I can't give you a personal review. Like you, I think, I tend to take these "User Reviews" with a large pinch of salt as you never quite know what the agenda of the author is. It all comes down to value for money in the end and the "value" part of the equation is personal to each of us. Let's face it, if any of these lenses was a dud then Canon would have stopped making them because nobody would buy them.

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will enjoy your new lens.

Bob.